Author Topic: Parish Marriage Record - Flinn & Sandford  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Marriage Record - Flinn & Sandford
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 October 18 16:58 BST (UK) »
Yes -- her birth year is showing as c 1853 in 1901and 1911.

Sorry but you might be safer purchasing the actual marriage certificate for this marriage -- which may clear up the father's name and occupation.

I can't find a baptism in Sligo, where she says she was born. She doesn't have a particularly Irish surname -- I am wondering if her father may have been in the Military and stayed in Ireland.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 October 18 01:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for your help.

Let me explain why I'm looking. In the 1881 census, there is a widow named Ann Sandford listed. I believe this is my GGG grandmother who was born in Meath. Her husband James Sandford was born in Caledon, Tyrone.

I can't locate either Ann or James in Ireland. So I was very excited, when I found this Ann Sandford living with the Flinns in 1881 and learned Sara's maiden name was Sandford. An Irish connection! If I found out more about Sarah, that could lead me to more about James and Ann!

James and Ann Sandford married in Cty Mayo and one of the witnesses was Samuel Finn. James Sandford worked for the Ordnance Survey and wouldn't be surprised if he came from military stock. 

Anyway, there you have it. Sorry so long winded but our stories are never short are they!  ;D
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 October 18 02:42 BST (UK) »
Correction! Samuel FLINN not Finn.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 October 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again --- I am a bit confused now.

When you say you cannot find James and Ann Sandford in Ireland -- you do seem to have found a marriage for them in Mayo -- and know where each were born.

How do you know that you have found the correct marriage for them please? There is also a marriage in Dunboyne County Meath for a James Sandford and an Anne Bridget Goodwin in 1854 -- and you think that your Ann was born in Meath.

As you know Irish research is difficult with only census scraps until 1901 -- so we only have BMDs to use in the main. In the original post the query was about the father's name on Sarah's marriage -- which is shown as Jacobi (James or Jacob) -- but you seem to have details of a James and Ann already.

Sorry if I am being really thick here -- but if Sarah is your ancestor (with an apparant birthplace of Sligo) --- you would normally have worked backwards from her but seem to have info about her parents BEFORE you have her details. That's what I can't understand.

Have you got her actual marriage cert which has given you James' occupation please?
Places of interest;

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry, I can see where you would be confused. Let me explain.

I know Ann's last name was Delaney because it was listed on her children's birth records.
I know Ann was born in Meath and in Caledon because the locations are listed on their census record.
I then found the marriage record in Mayo listing their surnames as well as James' address (Transcribed "Aughadoo, Co Tyron" and Caleldon is in the parish of Aghaloo, Tyrone) as confirmation.

That is the extent of my findings of James and Ann in Ireland. However, once they arrived in England, I have much more information. I shouldn't have said I can't locate them. What I should have said is I can't locate them in their townland and don't know details on their family.

Sarah is not James and Ann's daughter, as they were living in England from early 1840's forward. I believe she is a relative of James. I could be wrong, her maiden name of Sandford might be a coincidence. But if she is James' relative  and I find out more about her origins and her parents, it might provide more clues about James' family.

James worked for the Ordnance Survey Dept. in England or 27 years. He retired at age 65. I don't know if he was associated with the OS in Ireland as well but, if he did, that might account for his presence in Cty Mayo. I lost James after the 1871 census. There are multiple deaths for James and Ann Sanford, and short of ordering all the certificates which is cost prohibitive, I don't know where they died. I can't prove the Ann Sanford living with the Flynn's in 1881 is my Ann but after finding Sarah's maiden name was Sandford, I thought it plausible.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 October 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi --- Well the Sandford family certainly moved around in England!

I have now tracked them on the census records from 1851 - 1871 with certainty as a family unit.

I cannot find any children born to James and Ann in Ireland -- nor can I see any on GRO index before Jane who was born in Preston Lancs in 1845. (Having said that there are quite a few on GRO index with no mother's maiden name shown.)

It seems unusual to marry in 1837 and have no children until 1845 -- unless Ann lost some, OR James moved from Ireland with his job and Ann followed later (I haven't checked Scotland which is a possibility).

IF the Ann with Sarah and Bernard is the widow of James Sandford - then the only person with the correct birth year who died between 1871 and 1881 was a James Sandford who died in Sheffield Reg Dist in 1874. If it was him he doesn't appear to have left a will and with his job, you would have thought he would have done -- intelligent chap and used to paperwork!

Baptisms in Ireland in the early 1800s can be difficult to find -- I have looked for both James and Ann's baptisms without success. This doesn't mean they aren't there somewhere of course!

I have never found my own or my husband's Irish ancestors who were born before 1830.

Really sorry - but I am stuck at the moment - however I hope some super sleuth can step in and help you with this.

Good Luck with your hunt.
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 October 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
XPess 4 --- have you tried going onto the Irish Board for your research into James Sandford and Ann Devaney? They are really helpful and knowledgeable on there about Irish research.

You will need to tell them though about the marriage you found and the birth places and approx birth dates you know from the English census records. It may also be useful to make reference to the correspondence on this Board,

It's worth a try anyway,
Places of interest;

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 October 18 01:29 GMT (UK) »
I know Ann was born in Meath and in Caledon because the locations are listed on their census record.
I then found the marriage record in Mayo listing their surnames as well as James' address (Transcribed "Aughadoo, Co Tyron" and Caleldon is in the parish of Aghaloo, Tyrone) as confirmation.

I take it that you meant to say "Ann was born in Meath and James in Caledon"?
Cowban

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 October 18 05:12 GMT (UK) »
You're right! Thanks for catching that. :)