Author Topic: Hurrel / McCorley - Stoneyford / Derriaghy / Belfast  (Read 1001 times)

Offline gmck81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hurrel / McCorley - Stoneyford / Derriaghy / Belfast
« on: Friday 26 October 18 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm trying to find a birth and death record for my great-great grandmother to no avail, and was hoping that someone could perhaps help. Her surnames, both married and maiden, have so many spelling variations. 

On her marriage certificate from 1877 she is Anne HURELL (married to Henry McOrley at Lisburn Registrars Office).  Her age is 22, so approximate year of birth is 1855.  Residence at time of marriage is Derriaghy. Her father is James Hurell.  (she is also Roman Catholic).

On her childrens birth entries her surname is:
- Annie HURREL (child born in Aghlislone, Derriaghy 1876)
- Annie HUREL (child born in 17 Shore Street, Belfast, 1878)
- Annie HURLE (twins born in 20 Cross Street, Belfast 1881)
- Annie HURREL (child born in 17 Hardinge Street, Belfast 1885)
- Annie HURL (child born in Castle Street, Antrim, 1886)
- Annie HULLER (child born in Mullaghlass, Derriaghy, 1888)
- Annie HURREL (child born in 42 Hardinge Street, 1892)

Her husband Henry McCORLEY died in 1921 and is listed as Married (and not a widower) at the time of his death which leads me to believe she died sometime after 1921.

Henry McCORLEY is originally from Stoneyford (Lisburn / Derriaghy) and I believe that Annie H is from this area or neighbouring area too.

I finally found her on the 1901 Census under her married name which down as McCOUBY!  Her age is recorded 40 years (approximate year of birth 1861 - this is different from whats on her marriage certificate).

I can't find her on the 1911 census.  Her married name McCORLEY is also recorded as McCURLEY / McORLEY.

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hurrel / McCorley - Stoneyford / Derriaghy / Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 October 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
Statutory birth registration only began in Ireland in 1864 so if Ann was born around 1855 there won’t be a birth certificate. You might find her baptism.  However if she was born around Derriaghy (Blaris RC parish) they don’t have any baptism records for the 1850s. In fact they don’t have any before the 1920s. So no baptism and no birth certificate for this lady, if she's from that parish. Having said that, I see from the 1901 census entry you identified that she gave her place of birth as Belfast. If that is the right lady and the information is accurate, then you should search Belfast RC  baptism records to see if you can find her there.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Duncairn_Ward/Mountcollyer_Road/959398/

Where have you been searching for her death, post 1921? The only site with Northern Ireland deaths, post 1921 is the GRONI site. There you can search through up to 1968. Irishgenealogy and other sites with Irish data don’t have Northern Irish events post 1921. Only GRONI have it.

Spotted this Henry McCorley (married but lodging in the Derriaghy area) in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Derryaghy/Mullaghglass/197497/
Elwyn

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 November 18 10:22 GMT (UK) »
hi gmck81, see last paragraph,  trying to cast a fresh eye on your achievements so far  After an hour or two your difficulties are unigue to me. Henry and the 1901 census enumerator both have difficulties in their interpretations and handwriting. see Household Return (Form A)   findable underneath household entries.  you can enlarge the image.  The 6 daughters  listed except Rachel  in the 1901 census are all male, yet Rachel is a son. Henry’s own handwritten entries for his last name for the household occupants vary with a and o, and his final signature the b in McCouby is definitely  readable as a b but elsewhere more as an L.  Even Belfast is readable as Belfost.  Your list showing Annies 7 children’s births or baptisms , for the spelling of her maiden name is similarily confusing as each birth location is different , yet each location might give further clues.  Does your source give the last name variants of McOrley. The confusing bit are the ages given and your dates . My normal method of estimating the year born knowing the census was carried out on the last day of March is approximate and hence the ~and means +or – one year at most

1901 census 71 in Mountcollyer Road (Duncairn Ward, Antrim)see http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie
McCouby   Henry      50[b~1851]   Male   Head of Family   
McCouby   Annie      40[b~1861]   Female   Wife   
children 6 listed
McCouby   Florence   20[b~1881]   Male   Daughter   
McCouby   Jane      18[b~1883]   Male   Daughter   
McCouby   Hannah   16[b~1885]   Male   Daughter   
McCouby   Maggie   14[b~1887]   Male   Daughter   
McCouby   Sarah      11[b~1890]   Male   Daughter   
McCouby   Rachel   9   [b~1892]   Female   Son   
 in the same clever way you found them , where have they all gone in 1911 census I tried without success. the girls could all be married1892,1895,

Street directories.
Henry is not listed in  71 Mountcollyer Road in the PRONI street directories1892,95,96,97,98 99 and 1900
Henry is listed in in  71 Mountcollyer Road in the 1901 www.lennonwylie .com street directories as Henry McCurley, but is not listed in her 1907 and 1908 directories ie he has moved

Stoneyford Village is in Island Kelly townland in the civil parish of Derraghy. I have not searched for all references to Island Kelly townland on google .So I went searching for Henry McCORLEY/McOrley who you say is originally from Stoneyford (Lisburn / Derriaghy) how do you know this ?    I could find no proof of this after examining 1862 Griffiths valuation and the continuation books at PRONI using PRONI Reference: VAL/12/B/8/5A (1863 - 1879) for Island Kelly townland. and next book VAL/12/B/8/5B (1878 - 1889) Was he catholic before marriage I wondered?
Aghalislone townland where you have a child b 1876 but you don’t mention fathers name so how do you know all of this I went looking for McOrley et al I couldn’t find in the relevant continuation valuation books.

The nearest catholic church leaving out lisburn is difficult to determine.  PRONI has
R.C. Hannahstown, Rock and Derriaghy (Down and Connor diocese)
Baptisms and marriages, 1877-80.
which shows  microfilm etc available at PRONI is MIC1D/63 Have you tried this but its about 5 miles away or Milltown

Stoneyford is a small village in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It is between Glenavy and Milltown, about 5 miles (8 km) north of Lisburn. Historically it was known as Aghnalough  Source lost check out Aghnalough possible wrong spelling

Articles found http://www.nifhs.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Stoneyford-Baptisms-Introduction.pdf ST. JOHN’S, STONEYFORD ~ BAPTISMS   if both born Catholic this is irrelevant, unless they buried catholics in their graveyards and kept burial lists.

I am wondering the marriage registered at lisburn are there any details more than you offered us the marriage registered at Lisburn.
have you seen the variant Spellings via john grenham see https://www.johngrenham.com/findasurname.php?surname=hurrel

Griffiths Valuation various dates http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
nothing in neighbourhood

Elwyn Soutter suggestion for Henry is most likely your Henry. have you followed his advice?

from emerald ancestors
https://www.emeraldancestors.com/northern-ireland-ancestry-search-marriage-list?County=&Surname=mcCorley&Forenames=&bridesurname=&brideforenames=&civildistrict=&searchtype=
has an interesting line up of possible daughters marrying
1902   James  Emmerald   Florence  MCCORLEY   Belfast   Antrim   
1905   Robert  Emmerald   Jane  MCCORLEY   Belfast   Antrim   
1909   Richard  Emmerald   Sarah  MCCORLEY   Belfast   Antrim   
1909   Patrick  MCCORLEY   Elizabeth  Emmerald   Antrim   Antrim   
1917   William  Emmerald   Mary  MCCORLEY   Belfast   Antrim   
1920   James  Emmerald   Hannah  MCCORLEY   Belfast   Antrim
good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 November 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
also
Hannah McCorley has her father named as henry McCorley both for her birth 1885 and her marriage 1920
 in https://www.ancestryireland.com/
which also has  births baptisms with a Henry as father
HANNAH   MCCORLEY   1885   HENRY   Antrim   
MARGARETMCCORLEY   1886   HENRY   Antrim   
RODERICK   MCCORLEY   1892   HENRY   Antrim   
RODERICK   MCCORLEY   1892   HENRY   Antrim
i have no further info on Roderick ie is it the correct Henry
website has deaths but none relevant
worldwide

Offline gmck81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 November 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies Elwyn Soutter and BallyaltikilliganG.

Elwyn Soutter I took your advice and went to GRONI website. I found death entry for Annie McCorley 1925 (of Hardinge Street, Belfast) - her surname is MCCURLEY.  Aged 71 so approximate year of birth is 1854.  This age fits with her marriage age where I worked out approx YOB 1855.  But I still have not been able to find a birth entry for her.

BallyaltikilliganG as for Annies husband Henry McCorley, on his death entry in 1921 it actually states "from Stoneyford".   He is 77 years at time of death so approx YOB is 1844.

This is definitely them in the 1901 census:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Duncairn_Ward/Mountcollyer_Road/959398/
BallyaltikilliganG you're right that all the female children are married by 1911 and I can find them there under their married names.  The son Roderick was a solidier in WW1 and died in 1917 (he is down as Rachel (!) in the 1901 census and I can't find him in the 1911 census).  [The only child I can't account for is James b. 1878 - he is not mentioned in the 1901 census with the family under the surname of McCouby.  I can't find him in the 1911 census and I can't find a death or a marriage entry for him.] 

I still can't find Annie in 1911 census - I'm wondering if Annie went into a workhouse?  Her husband Henry is back in Derriaghy lodging in 1911  - perhaps working?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Derryaghy/Mullaghglass/197497/

Regarding Henry McCorleys marriage to Annie Hurrel. They married in Lisburn Registrars Office in May 1877 - this is 7 months after their first child Florence is born.  I suspect they had to marry in a registry office as they had a child out of wedlock?

The other thing I found was a Catholic baptism entry for Henry McCorley on 5 Jan 1843 in the Parish of Duneane, Co. Antrim (near Toome).  I'm wondering is this my Henry?  The parents are listed as Hugh and Margaret.  I know from Henrys' marriage entry in 1877 his father as Hugh.    There seems to quite a few McCorleys in the parish of Duneane / Drumaul.

I also found an 1851 census extract for the Parish of Duneane  where the surname is Hurl or Hurrell
http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/search/cs/details.jsp?id=16347
The father is listed as James (and I have James as Annies' father from her marriage entry), however the date does not fit as I have Annies approx YOB as 1854/1855.

I have also found a marriage in 1891 for a Hannah HURRELL x James Lavery in St Annes, Belfast. Henry and Annie McCORLEY are the witnesses.  Hannah lists her father as James Hurrell, therefore I can infer that Hannah and Annie are sisters.  However, I cannot find a birth entry for Hannah, approx YOB 1857.

Thanks for all your help so far!  This research can certainly be challenging!

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 November 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
just to add to your challenges, but are you not doing better than many, my final contributions are from one source
1823-1837 Tithes Applotment Books based upon the index work of the Irish Genealogy Hub’s listing for each parish in Northern Ireland, The relevant original books are in the
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast
the result are one liners which give the tenant and how much land he has in arable or bog etc

Harrell, John-Townland : Shanaghy Year: 1834-Finvoy-Antrim
Harrell, P.-Townland: Dunbeg Lower Year: 1826-Dromara -Down-
Harrell, P.-Townland: Lower Dunbeg Year: 1828-Dromara -Down-
Heare, John-- Townland : Outleekan Year : 1827-Ballymyre -Armagh
Herrell, Thomas-Townland: Magheralone Year: 1833-Kilmore-Down-
Hurl, Bernd.-Townland: Sharvougs Year: 1834-Drummaul -Antrim
Hurl, Charles-T: Creenagh Y: 1826-Tullyniskan-Tyrone & Fermangh
Hurl, Charles-Tl: Ballimaquiggan Yr: 1825-Artrea-Derry and Tyrone
Hurl, Hugh-Tl: Caraloon Yr: 1825-Artrea-Derry and Tyrone
Hurl, James-Tl: Caraloon Yr: 1825-Artrea-Derry and Tyrone
Hurl, Jas.-Tl: Derrygarve Yr: 1825-Artrea-Derry and Tyrone
Hurl, Jno.-Townland: Sharvougs Year: 1834-Drummaul -Antrim
Hurl, John-Townland: Ballytresna Year: 1834-Drummaul -Antrim
Hurl, Patk.-Townland: Garriffgeary Year: 1833-Duneane-Antrim
McCorley, Charles-Townland: Ballynacross Year: 1828-Maghera-Derry
McCorley, Fras.-Townland: Ballydermot Year: 1828-Ballyscullion-Antrim & Derry
McCorley, Fras.-Townland: Ballydermot Year: 1828-Ballyscullion-Derry
McCorley, John-Townland: Gallagh Year: 1833-Duneane-Antrim
McCorley, Roger-Townland: Gallagh Year: 1833-Duneane-Antrim
McCully,  I did find many McUlly and although appealing to my ear have not included
McCurley, Bernard-Townland: Ballyearl and Carntall Year: 1835- Carnmoney-Antrim
McCurley, Bernard-Townland: Carntall Year: 1835- Ballylinny-Antrim
McCurley, Henry-Townland: Gallagh Year: 1833-Duneane-Antrim
McCurley, Jno.-Townland: Clare Year: 1834-Tullylish-Down
McCurley, Wm.-Townland: Longmore Year: 1825-Skerry-Antrim
McCurly, Frank-Tl: Corcloon Yr: 1834-Inishmacsaint -Fermanagh
McCurly, Jno.-Tl: Ballieglish Yr: 1825-Artrea-Derry and Tyrone
McOrley no entries
good luck
worldwide

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 November 18 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Annie and daughters at Hardinge Street in 1917, per August 30th edition of Northern Whig:

R. M‘Curley, Royal Irish Fusiliers, who was awarded the Military Medal for gallantry the 6th' June, is now officially reported have been killed the 15th inst. His mother and sisters reside at 11, Hardinge Street, Belfast.       
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline flossy28

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 18:10 GMT (UK) »
I realise this post is old but I thought I'd reply anyway in the hope the op was still around. I have information ont the Hurl and McCorley families because Annie Hurl is my great great great aunt. Her sister, Martha Hurl, is my great great great grandmother. Hopefully you're still around and see this so you can reply.