Author Topic: Sillhouses / Sillhouse Yorkshire - Where is this place?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline GinetteGisborne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sillhouses / Sillhouse Yorkshire - Where is this place?
« on: Friday 26 October 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
On the 1851 Census my ancestor Mary (Married surname Mawson) is Recorded as being born at Yorkshire - Sillhouses. She is widowed and living with her son George Mawson and family.
On the census the handwriting Sillhouses looks like all one word and on the transcribed record it is written as two words Sill Houses. I have tried to find this place but can find no record in old place names etc. has anyone any knowledge of what or where this place could be. She is 81 on the census so born in this place around 1770. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a marriage to her husband also called George Mawson so I have no maiden name to look for a birth record which may have had details of place name etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sillhouses / Sillhouse Yorkshire - Where is this place?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 October 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
What about this, taken from the Genuki site

"SIKE BRIDGE, and SIKE HOUSES, in the township of Newsham-cum-Brackenbrough, and parish of Kirby-Wiske; ˝ mile SSE. of Kirby Wiske. A few cottages."

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 October 18 11:44 BST (UK) »
Have you any idea where the first born child of the marriage was born and when.  Was Thomas who was living next door another son  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 October 18 18:24 BST (UK) »
Could it be Sykehouse near Doncaster?

Offline GinetteGisborne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 October 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions I will check those out - I think Thomas Mawson is George’s brother Living next door to him. He’s the right age to be a brother. Due to his age he is most likely the first born to Mary, he was born in Painshaw (penshaw).