Author Topic: Marjory McPoland nee Greer- possibly married Kitts b1836, lived Scotland  (Read 657 times)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Marjory McPoland nee Greer- possibly married Kitts b1836, lived Scotland
« on: Friday 26 October 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am looking for a bit of help unraveling a bit of a mystery

I have a death certificate for a Ellen Poland in Ireland died 21 Aug 1886
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1886/06243/4787386.pdf

Present at the death is a Marjory Kitts, daughter in law Glasgow.

I found an Arthur McPoland, married Marjory Greer in Banbridge in 1863
They seem to have moved to Scotland in before 1866 (Had 1 child in Ireland, who died in Glasgow in 1867) and had 2 more children - James b 1866 and Arthur born 1869

I have found this family as Pollands in the 1871 census in Scotland - 644/1 82/ 11
Father Arthur is a carter.

Now I am trying to see if I can tie this into Marjory Kitts?

I have found a Marjory Kitts in 1881 in Glasgow, from Ireland, but her age is out as she is only 29?
Her children though are James and Arthur - ages 15 and 12 both born Glasgow, and I can't find any Arthur or James Kitts born in Glasgow. I know this is unlikely to be them given then age- but looking for anything now!

The McPoland name seems to be McPoland, Mcpolland, McPolin, Polland, Poland, Pollin so they are a bit elusive!

Any help finding out anything more about Arthur, Margery and the children in Glasgow, would be great!

McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marjory McPoland nee Greer- possibly married Kitts b1836, lived Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 October 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
Can we have some more info about Ellen please?

She was 70 when she died so born around 1815/16 - where?
Did she definitely have a son called Arthur?  1871 shows he was b Ireland 1840

If Arthur married Marjory Greer - he must have died and Marjory re-married if her surname was Kitts on Ellen’s death cert

Have you looked for a death for him and a remarriage for Marjory

Son Arthur’s birth was registered as McPolland in 1869

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 October 18 13:13 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage of a James Kitts and Marjery McKnight in Blythswood, Glasgow in 1877.

Wiiliam
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 October 18 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Irish records are very hard to find as civil registration didn't start to 1863, and most events for Ellen are before this.

I have found Elleanor marriage to Arthur McPoland in 1838 in Dromara parish registers - (~I belive they may have been related, as it states consang

The baptism records for Dromara, don't begin until 1844, so haven't been able to prove Arthur's birth.
I have today been told there was definitely a son John McPoland, born to Arthur McPolin and Ellen Smith, who emigrated to the USA, but have to research this properly still

Via Arthurs marriage certificate to Margery Greer, I know his father was Arthur.

There is a lot of speculation involved in this, and trying to get more information on Margery Kitts might help, especially as Scottish death records are useful.

So far I think there is 3 sons born to Ellen and Arthur - Arthur, John, and Partick (Patrick is my GG Grandfather). Unfortunately, there is no definite proof that Eleanor is the mother, (but all have a father Arthur) except the marriage between Ellen and Arthur, and Ellen's place of death (Ardtanagh, Dromara) on her death record.

McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 October 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage of a James Kitts and Marjery McKnight in Blythswood, Glasgow in 1877.

Wiiliam

I have looked up this marriage and Margery is listed as a 28 year old spinster.

However, her father is listed as John Mcknight - Blacksmith, and her mother Elizabeth McKnight (nee Greer) - both deceased.

On the marriage cert of Margery Greer and Arthur McPoland in Ireland in 1863, Margery's Dad is John Greer, Blacksmith.
There is therefore some similarities between the 2 Margery's