Author Topic: Working at RAF Cosford - 1939  (Read 361 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Working at RAF Cosford - 1939
« on: Friday 26 October 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
So I've found my great-grandfather and his family in the 1939 register. They're living in Pattingham, Staffordshire and his occupation is listed as 'General Labourer at RAF Aerodrome'. I'm assuming this was RAF Cosford which had opened in 1938 and was less than five miles from Pattingham.

My main question is, what would a  civilian general labourer's work at such a facility look like? I'm assuming a lot of fetching and carrying, but what else? Would my great-grandfather continued working there through the war, or would access have been restricted to military personnel later in the conflict?

If anyone has knowledge on this topic or any good sources, I'd love to hear it!

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Working at RAF Cosford - 1939
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
Repairing runways, painting, grass cutting, replacing bulbs, sweeping up,repairing fences,general labouring presumably.

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Working at RAF Cosford - 1939
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate