Author Topic: 1901 Census / DONOVAN (MALLOW / CORK CITY)  (Read 1872 times)

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 Census / DONOVAN (MALLOW / CORK CITY)
« on: Friday 26 October 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
??? I've hit an absolute brick wall trying to find my great-great grandmother, Mary Donovan, and her family in the 1901 Irish census. I feel like I have tried absolutely every permutation under the sun and I am having no joy at all. Any help would be most gratefully received. I have lots of other records for this family, just not where they are on the 1901 census and it would help me to join up some dots.

I'm also interested in the children who died in infancy as I've not been able to locate them all yet - the 1901 census would help me to do this.

Mary Donovan, residing at Narrow Lane, Cork married John Donovan, from Mallow at Cork Cathedral on 15 October 1884.

They had several children, some in Mallow, some in Cork city. I have listed their addresses at the time of birth in case it helps in locating them in 1901.

1911 census states 7 surviving children of 10; still missing one who died in infancy:

1. Timothy Donovan, b. 22 Aug 1885, Broom Lane, Ballydaheen, Mallow, Co. Cork [survived infancy]
2. Nancy Donovan, b. 17 Oct 1886, Berry's Lane, Ballydaheen, Mallow, Co. Cork (possibly later known as Hannah/Annie?)
3. Patrick Donovan, b.16 Jan 1889, Broom Lane, Mallow, Ballydaheen, Co. Cork - died a week later
4. John Donovan, b. 1 Mar 1890, Broom Lane, Mallow, Ballydaheen, Co. Cork - died a week later
5. Mary Donovan, b. 5 Jan 1892, Broom Lane, Ballydaheen, Mallow, Co. Cork
6. Michael Donovan, b. 16 Aug 1894, Broom Lane, Ballydaheen, Mallow, Co. Cork
7. Nora Donovan, b. 5 Apr 1896, Broom Lane, Ballydaheen, Mallow, Co. Cork
8. Catherine Donovan, b. 17 Mar 1899, Ballydaheen, Mallow, Co. Cork
9. Patrick Donovan, 17 Mar 1902, 1 Quarry Lane, Cork Urban 2, Cork City

They are at 6 Berry's Lane in the 1911 census. At other times, they are listed as living on Broom Lane, Mallow. These roads, which no longer exist, are in Ballydaheen, Mallow, Co. Cork:

Donovan   Mary   42   Female   Head of Family   Roman Catholic
Donovan   John   53   Male   Husband   Roman Catholic
Donovan   Mary   18   Female   Daughter   Roman Catholic
Donovan   Michael   16   Male   Son   Roman Catholic
Donovan   Kate   10   Female   Daughter   Roman Catholic
Donovan   Patrick   8   Male   Son   Roman Catholic

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Mallow_South_Urban/Berry's_Lane/430993

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ⚠️1901 CENSUS / DONOVAN (MALLOW / CORK CITY)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I can't find them either.

I chose Nora to search for, as I thought her name was more unusual.

I entered birth year as I thought a young child is less likely to have their age entered incorrectly. I did not enter a surname in case it had been spelled differently or the writing misinterpreted. I looked through all the results for a surname that was Donovan, or could looked like it could have been intended to be Donovan.

There were a few Nora Donovans, one even had a father called Timothy, but ages were out and mother was wrong so clearly not the right family.

As your Donovans moved between 1899 and 1902, I am wondering if they may have missed out on being enumerated in the 1901 census, or perhaps they were staying with family and were enumerated under their surname?

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 18 00:15 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I can't find them either.

Thank you so much for looking - I'm glad it's not just me.

I chose Nora to search for, as I thought her name was more unusual.

Good call, though it seems quite common at the time in Ireland - Hanora, Norah, Nora, &c.

There were a few Nora Donovans, one even had a father called Timothy, but ages were out and mother was wrong so clearly not the right family.

Her father is John, though I am open to the name Timothy cropping up as both Mary and John's fathers are listed as Timothy Donovan on their marriage record and their first born is Timothy, so clearly a family name! 

As your Donovans moved between 1899 and 1902, I am wondering if they may have missed out on being enumerated in the 1901 census, or perhaps they were staying with family and were enumerated under their surname?

Quite possibly! For now, all I know is that they were both Donovans marrying Donovans, need another surname before I can explore that idea but it's hard without more evidence! Thank you so much for trying!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
Ok right. Well I think I misread your original question, and now you have added the family in the 1911 census, that might help a little more.

Reconsidering, it was probaly not a good idea to choose Nora after all as she could be one of those who died before 1901. She is missing from the 1911 when older and younger siblings are still at home.

Back to the drawing board I think.  :-\

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 October 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
Ok right. Well I think I misread your original question, and now you have added the family in the 1911 census, that might help a little more.

Reconsidering, it was probaly not a good idea to choose Nora after all as she could be one of those who died before 1901. She is missing from the 1911 when older and younger siblings are still at home.

Back to the drawing board I think.  :-\

Thank you. Sorry for the confusion - I had posted the 1911 census in the form of the link before, I just pasted the entry in to the post as well as there had appeared to be some confusion! :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census / DONOVAN (MALLOW / CORK CITY)
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 October 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think the confusion was all on my part.  :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 October 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
Did you look for Marriages of oldest children to see what address they were at?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 October 18 12:58 BST (UK) »
A little unusual for Mary to be head of the family with John as "husband."  :)