Author Topic: *** New RootsChatterBox Opened! ***  (Read 11335 times)

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: *** New RootsChatterBox Opened! ***
« Reply #27 on: Friday 30 July 04 18:37 BST (UK) »
I,m not very techy but it sounds to me like your processor is'nt fast enough to cope with the flash7.

---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 30 July 04 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Fitty,but i dont know much about computers so dont know what a processor is{only food processor}HA HA but thankyou you anyway Fitty.Anne. ;)
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 30 July 04 19:23 BST (UK) »
It,s the same thing really.....lol The faster the processor the speedier the puter sorts out all the data........or something like that!   

Fitty
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 30 July 04 22:51 BST (UK) »
hehehehe Don't worry too much if your processor is too slow for the new RootsChatterBox - we may well end up changing it within a few weeks to something a bit more relaxed- we're still tinkering with it - but it does work very well for people with newer computers.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 30 July 04 23:42 BST (UK) »

Hello Jaq,

I am glad you remembered to turn out the lights  ;)

Sarah
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 31 July 04 20:23 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Fitty,i think i have got it.I have a computer thats like me past its sell by date,i am getting a brand spanking new one in a couple of weeks,trouble is i hope i dont get something i dont really need,i mean nothing too technical just the basics will do me,i will have to trust the salesman.Anyway Fitty thankyou again.Anne. ;)
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 31 July 04 21:13 BST (UK) »

Ooh err, I don't like the sound of the chatterbox only being available to newer 'puters. I'm at big bruvver's so it works great; At home the thing's at least six years old- I'm not holding out much hope as it struggles even to load the big census files.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 31 July 04 22:52 BST (UK) »
Pauline,

I'ts not a requirement to have a super-dooper-new-computer to use the RootsChatterBox, but the chances are a newer computer will have the latest browser loaded on it. The trick really (even with an old computer) is to use "Windows Update" to keep everything up to date, or visit the Microsoft site www.microsoft.com and check for any updates for one's computer.

The computer that I do most of my day-to-day work on is about four years old, (bought at a computer fair for £80. I bought it as a test machine, but because it is very small it's really handy for me.) I don't run Microsoft Windows, (I run SUSE Linux www.SUsE.de/en ) and the ChatterBox works great on this old machine.

Sarah on the other hand has a brand-new really fast computer, that uses Windows XP. The ChatterBox works fine with that too.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
the new chat room
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 August 04 16:24 BST (UK) »
HELP i tried the new chat room, and it,s all dark and black, and i was all on my own, and did,nt  know what to do ,HELP nora T[c ??? ??? :'( :'(
i am researching the timmis family salop. staffs, and cheshire, also the culverwell family, congleton cheshire,and staffs.also jervis, jarvis, staffs and wales,also reece, staffs and dudley