Author Topic: Donald & Catherine Cruikshank grave(1797) , Gorton Grantown-on-Spey.  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Imogen555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Donald & Catherine Cruikshank grave(1797) , Gorton Grantown-on-Spey.
« on: Thursday 18 October 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm three years late joining this conversation but I do know something about this, and would like to know a lot more! Topic split off and moved to Morayshire.
I have Crui(c)kshank ancestors that are definitely from farms named (Easter) Gorton and Wester Gorton just 2 miles west of Grantown-on-Spey.  Note these don't come up on google maps but are perfectly visible on streetmap.co.uk

When I visited the town's local cemetery I found a grave of Catherine Cruickshank.  The inscription reads "Here beneath this stone lie the remains of Catherine, spouse to Donald Cruikshank late of Gorton she departed of this life in the 72nd year of her age upon the 13th of June 1797"
Note her surname was Grant (known from her son's will) and not Brand.

Donald and Catherine had four sons who were all plantation/slave owners in St Vincent, Jamaica (as breaky found below).

So far I cannot otherwise link Donald to my family, but what I do also know is that my 5xgreat-grandfather John Cruickshank lived at Gorton in 1841 and that he had earlier worked, around 1792, for a man named Alexander Houston in Grantown whose daughter Clementina married Patrick Cruikshank of St Vincent Jamaica.  This Patrick is Donald's grandson.

One of Donald's sons was called John, born around the same time as my John but Donald's John allegedly died in 1810, whereas mine was alive in 1841!

Anyway, all this to say that the Knockando theory is incorrect I'm afraid, although it's not a million miles away.  Hope that's ok - I find it really important to know where exactly my ancestors lived. 

Of course I'm also hoping somebody might have better knowledge than me about my own Cruickshanks. 

I have a digital copy of a very old pedigree of Donald's family - you would think that would help a lot but I'm still trying to decipher it :)
This might be of interest to some of you?
Coley / Norris / Quigley-Tweedie / McIntyre / Stewart / McLeod / Adamson / Munsie / Trenholm

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Donald & Catherine Cruikshank grave(1797) , Gorton Grantown-on-Spey.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I have Crui(c)kshank ancestors that are definitely from farms named (Easter) Gorton and Wester Gorton just 2 miles west of Grantown-on-Spey.  Note these don't come up on google maps but are perfectly visible on streetmap.co.uk
Google maps are pretty well useless for finding individual farms and crofts.

See https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ0128 which uses the Ordnance Survey, the same base map as streetmap uses.

This is the old Ordnance Survey map of the area
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.3389&lon=-3.6381&layers=5&b=1
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Houston58

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald & Catherine Cruikshank grave(1797) , Gorton Grantown-on-Spey.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 January 21 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am coming in late on this, but my ancestor is Alexander Houston who farmed at Tullochgribban and Inverallan, he had a daughter called Clementina, would be great to share any info.