Author Topic: linking to families in the same village  (Read 2827 times)

Offline kiffagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
linking to families in the same village
« on: Saturday 27 October 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
to all members is there any way you can link to families with the same surname in the same village.

family 1                                                                                                  family 2.
Patrick finan                                                                                            frank finan
1900-1982.                                                                                             1894-1918.   

Patrick finan                                                                                             Margaret finan
1866-1943.                                                                                              1870-1921

Michael finan                                                                                            Michael finan
1821-1909                                                                                                1856-1931.

dunowla                                                                                                     dromore

Dromore west                                                                                             Dromore west.

Margaret in the right hand column is a daughter of the Michael. i can find no living relatives for the right hand column . so can you find a link by records alone 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: linking to families in the same village
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
1911 census Dromore (Dromore, Sligo) Frank Finan grandson of Michael Finan (aged 74 years - so boen 1838  ??? not quite same as you year of birth.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Dromore/Dromore/768756/

Frank Mark Finan 24 Aug 1918 Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) Regiment. (Formerly The Irish Guards)  Regimental Number   72254 - Mother Margaret.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 18 13:57 BST (UK) »
yes you can find a link by records alone.... once research/records proves the Links!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 18 14:02 BST (UK) »

IF they were R.C.

Templeboy

Diocese of Killala | County of Sligo
Variant forms of parish name:
Templeboy and Kilmacshalgan
Dromore West
Kilmacshalgan

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0756

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 October 18 14:12 BST (UK) »

No Bio but this is find a grave for Patrick Finan - 1901 - 1982

Churchill Cemetery Dromore West, County Sligo, Ireland
Plot Section- A Plot- 21

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/169804812

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 October 18 14:13 BST (UK) »
Do you think the two families are linked?
Looking at Irish Genealogy as linked by Hallmark, I can see other members of the Dunowla Finans in marriage. I have only looked at a couple and there is a Catherine and a Bridget marrying with father Michael for example.

I am not sure what you are trying to establish. Do you think that Michael in family 2 is a descendant of Michael in family 1?

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 October 18 14:15 BST (UK) »

Searching the same cemetery as above (Churchill Cemetery Dromore West, County Sligo, Ireland) Pat Finan (1858 - 1943)  in the same grave location.    Section- A Plot- 21

Sandra

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 October 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Do you think the two families are linked?
Looking at Irish Genealogy as linked by Hallmark, I can see other members of the Dunowla Finans in marriage. I have only looked at a couple and there is a Catherine and a Bridget marrying with father Michael for example.

I am not sure what you are trying to establish. Do you think that Michael in family 2 is a descendant of Michael in family 1?

Heywood

One has to be very careful linking anyone in same townland as my wife found out!

We had just moved here and talking with a couple in next house  Frank and Mary X

Next morning at the shop people told her that Frank X dropped dead during the night.

My wife was on the way to the house when she met another neighbour and they were talking about it.  My wife said she was only talking to him and his wife the day before.

The neighbour said... "but he wasn't married!"

It turned out to be the other Frank X who lived in house opposite and absolutely no relation!

There are only 12 houses in townland!!