Author Topic: linking to families in the same village  (Read 2809 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: linking to families in the same village
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 October 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
Do you think the two families are linked?
Looking at Irish Genealogy as linked by Hallmark, I can see other members of the Dunowla Finans in marriage. I have only looked at a couple and there is a Catherine and a Bridget marrying with father Michael for example.

I am not sure what you are trying to establish. Do you think that Michael in family 2 is a descendant of Michael in family 1?

Heywood

That is where the poster would need to do thorough research over time.

What I do is start a private tree on Ancestry and assemble them bit by bit (with sources) using all the available stuff online, then over time add new bits as discoveries are made....plus quite often one gets useful hints to research months later.

It was about 15 months later that I got a hint for one of mine...which led to a whole new line being added for a brother of my g.g g/father 
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 October 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Mine was going to be more basic  ;)

Names and connecting lines.

I am assuming that some sort of connection has been established/queried to link the families already  ???

GV shows Peter, James, Thomas and Michael Finan in Dunalow townland.
https://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/sligo/kilmacshalgan.htm

There are no Finans in Dromore

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

Tithe Applotments show Peter Finan in Dunowla

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Mine was going to be more basic  ;)

Names and connecting lines.

I am assuming that some sort of connection has been established/queried to link the families already  ???

GV shows Peter, James, Thomas and Michael Finan in Dunalow townland.
https://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/sligo/kilmacshalgan.htm

There are no Finans in Dromore

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

;D

Assume nothing....  ;)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
You’re quite right. I assumed a link once and went totally off course, having spent quite a bit on a particular record.
That was a long time ago though and I would not make the same mistake again  ;)  :o

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
It's not really a thing that can be answered by anyone looking for a few minutes but something that can be worked on now and then, maybe on a cold wet day etc etc...

Even for me i'm waiting for some Images to go online on irishgenealogy as so many others are.

Then many will be spending time adding any needed, so it is "a work in progress" too

Offline kiffagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 October 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
Heywood , this is as far as i could go back on records for both families. i think that Michael on the right and Patrick on left born in 1866 could be brothers . the other finan family in dunowla are cousins to Patrick born in 1866. 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 October 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
to all members is there any way you can link to families with the same surname in the same village.

family 1                                                                                                  family 2.
Patrick finan                                                                                            frank finan
1900-1982.                                                                                             1894-1918.   

Patrick finan                                                                                             Margaret finan
1866-1943.                                                                                              1870-1921

Michael finan                                                                                            Michael finan
1821-1909                                                                                                1856-1931.

dunowla                                                                                                     dromore

Dromore west                                                                                             Dromore west.

Margaret in the right hand column is a daughter of the Michael. i can find no living relatives for the right hand column . so can you find a link by records alone

Heywood , this is as far as i could go back on records for both families. i think that Michael on the right and Patrick on left born in 1866 could be brothers . the other finan family in dunowla are cousins to Patrick born in 1866. 

Now the way you have written it out, I thought you have:
Dunowla
Michael (1821)  is father to Patrick (1866) who is father to Patrick (1900)

Dromore
Michael (1856) is father to Margaret (1870) who is mother to Frank (1894). However ages of Michael and Margaret are too close  :-\

But that would  mean that Michael (1821) is father to M (1856) and P (1866) and then you would have grandchildren/nephew/niece and lastly Patrick (1900) and Frank (1894) are the cousins.

Is this what you mean?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 October 18 20:56 BST (UK) »

Do their Births/Bapts in registers show parents?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 October 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
to all members is there any way you can link to families with the same surname in the same village.

family 1                                                                                                  family 2.
Patrick finan                                                                                            frank finan
1900-1982.                                                                                             1894-1918.   

Patrick finan                                                                                             Margaret finan
1866-1943.                                                                                              1870-1921

Michael finan                                                                                            Michael finan
1821-1909                                                                                                1856-1931.

dunowla                                                                                                     dromore

Dromore west                                                                                             Dromore west.

Margaret in the right hand column is a daughter of the Michael. i can find no living relatives for the right hand column . so can you find a link by records alone

Now the way you have written it out, I thought you have:
Dunowla
Michael (1821)  is father to Patrick (1866) who is father to Patrick (1900)

Dromore
Michael (1856) is father to Margaret (1870) who is mother to Frank (1894). However ages of Michael and Margaret are too close  :-\

But that would  mean that Michael (1821) is father to M (1856) and P (1866) and then you would have grandchildren/nephew/niece and lastly Patrick (1900) and Frank (1894) are the cousins.

Is this what you mean?

I think it is

Patrick finan                                                                                             
1866-1943.                                                                                               

Michael finan
                                                                                               1856-1931.