Author Topic: PTE T W Pyle - Essex Regiment No: 36760  (Read 884 times)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PTE T W Pyle - Essex Regiment No: 36760
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 October 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
Strangely, on wounded lists
E W Pyle pte Essex Regiment 36760
Wounded 28/11/1917
 Next of Kin: Address         Stanley

Stanley (person) or Stanley (town)  ??

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline RHP485

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 October 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
Cathy. I live in the Stanley area of Co Durham where most of my family came from so even with a the E instead of a J it it probably the same person due the same number 36760. So I have a more information I had before. The council told me my relatives name is named on the first world war memorial. The reason I couldn't find this person, I am pleased to say, is he was not killed in WW! fighting. I need to go back to the council to find out who they are talking about because I assume that although my relative was in the war as he was not killed they should not have said he is listed and invite to lay a wreath in his memory.
MaxD. Thanks for that. The medal I have has no ribbon and probably needs replating to. On the National Records entry underneath the issue of the Victory medal it mentions the British medal so if he had one I do not have it.   

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 October 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
It will be interesting to see what the council say about the name on the memorial.  There are a few Pyles from Co Durham who were lost in the war, worth confirming with them also which war is it?

MaxD

PS 19i1 census for Stanley has a Thomas Pyle born Pelton Hill age 13 in 1911
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline RHP485

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 October 18 15:44 BST (UK) »
MaxD. I am aware of the Thomas Pyle you have mentioned. He was my Grandfathers brother. I did think this was person I was looking for in my original question because I thought the initials were T W and not J W. So far in my search for my family history I have not found a J W Pyle so there you are! In a small locket held with the medal there is a picture of a soldier with a flat cap and a moustache. There is a badge on the cap which does not look like any I have found associated with the Essex Regiment. It's so small I cannot see it clearly but it's round at the bottom with a plume at the top. It may be another member of my family who was in the forces in WW1 but I have no idea who he is! 

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 October 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
As I mentioned earlier the regimental medal roll has his initials as T W so the MIC is probably either wrong or wrongly transcribed.

The Thomas Pyle in Stanley is Thomas W Pyle in the 1901 census. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RHP485

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ: Thanks that Thomas William Pyle was born in 1898 so could have been the one in WW1 as I could not find any mention of a J W Pyle in my family history. Looking at the National Records entry on screen I have seen people write a capital T the way it looks on screen which other people might say it looks like the letter J.  In the end it looks like my relative was not killed in WW1 so I will be contacting the council on Monday to find out who think my relative was killed in WW1.

Thanks to every body who helped me with my query!!