Author Topic: Last resort is Absent Voters List?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Crazylibrarian62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Last resort is Absent Voters List?
« on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My grandfather's WW1 enlistment papers appear to be among the many lost/destroyed during the blitz of ww2. I have only his medal index card. He didn't die during the first world war - he was there to the bitter end, which makes it even harder to find out what units he was in. The fallen tend to have newspaper articles about their deaths in local papers, rolls of honour about them preserved, with details of their regiments etc. This does slightly make it easier to track their military history down if enlistment records have been lost.
In my grandad's case, he never spoke of his time on the frontline, and from what my own father has passed on to me more recently, was that he can remember only once being given a few snippets of information, when he joined up for his National Service. My searches have revealed that I might be able to establish my grandad's regiment or unit from the absent voters lists of 1918, but aside from his last recorded address from the 1911 census, I cannot establish where he lived on enlistment, so I don't know which voters lists to look at.
Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?
His medal index card shows his name Robert Taylor and that he was in the Rifle Brigade 13969 and the MGC 13433 received the Victory mesal MGC/10189 and British Medal.
Further info I can give;
Robert Taylor born in Felling, Gateshead, Newcastle (Holly Cottages) on 17th
July 1896 to George and Margaret (nee Stephenson) Taylor (married in 1895 in Gateshead)
1901 Census puts them in Willington County Durham (21 Old Row) George being a Miner at New Brancepeth Colliery.
On January 23rd 1905 George is killed in the pit (i have all those particulars)
1911 Census now sees my grandad Robert aged 14 living at 3 Woolley Terrace, Billy Row, near Crook County Durham, with his mother, siblings and step-father James Trotter
At 14, he was working at the pits too as an helper-up.

The little info I have on his enlistment is that he 'volunteered' in 1914, he was not conscripted. He was caught up in a gas attack but managed to escape major ill-effects, gas smelt like pineapple? He was picked from the Rifle Brigade to train for MGC due to his crack shooting? and that he spent a couple of weeks in field hospital with flu but once effectively treated, went back to frontline duties....
I can't make the connection between Rifle Brigade and Machine Gun Corps and how that would have come about. Apart from a theater of war in the Somme, we believe he was also in the Ypres Salient are too?
It is a big ask, but where could I posdibly go from this?
I do have information following his life post WW1 (his 2 marriages, etc)
Thank you in anticipation
Angela

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Last resort is Absent Voters List?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to Rootschat :)
A little more info on Robert
R Taylor
Private 13433
Years service  14 months
Months with Field Force  5 months
Age 20
Ailment  Septic Heel
Date of admission for original Ailment  5/9/1916
Date transferred to sick convoy   6/9/1916
No 17 Ambulance Train
C of e
Rifle Brigade 15th (Reserve Battalion)
47th Machine Gun Company, 16th Division
It mentions 34 Casualty Clearing Station

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C544259

I m sure others will be able to give  more of what went on with his battalions etc
Best wishes

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 18 19:13 BST (UK) »
Cathy's find in the medical records (only a percentage of which were kept) does at least pinpoint his whereabouts in September 1916, belonging to 47 Company Machine Gun Corps (his Rifle Brigade battalion was a reserve battalion so was in UK).  He was in 34 Casualty Clearing Station which moved in September 1916 so I am unsure where it was except to say it was in the Somme area.
You might like to download the 47 Coy war diary for £3.50 at:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352861

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Crazylibrarian62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much Cathy and MaxD. Just to have his company details was overwhelming, but to even have an hospital admission record, just brilliant. Bless him. We can now place him where we thought he might have been. The family were pretty much sure that he trained at Belton Camp, ironic that after the war he eventually moved to Grantham, Lincolnshire and lived there until his death, hence my fascination with MGC, being a Granthamian myself.

Very grateful to you both,
Angela

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 October 18 03:01 GMT (UK) »

he 'volunteered' in 1914, he was not conscripted. Coal Miners were one of the occupations that   should not be conscripted. Nothing to stop them volunteering though.