Author Topic: Harry Morris and wife Helen Aberdeen 1911 census  (Read 3628 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Morris and wife Helen Aberdeen 1911 census
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 October 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
flst,

I used a +/- for YoB with no specific area & the only one I found within that range with both names matching surname i.e. Henry Herbert was the 1 I posted?

Add, Dec Qtr

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 October 18 23:02 BST (UK) »
Possible birth (freebmd)
Dec 1883
MORRIS Henry Herbert, Newtown 11b 152
I can't work out what County it would be?
Montgomeryshire.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 October 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian,

So not England after all  ::)

I gave up with frustration after 5 attempts with different Counties (in England)!

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 October 18 06:00 GMT (UK) »
I checked the marriage cert for Henry Herbert and his parents listed as Henry William Mayfield Morris (Commission Agent) and Mildred maiden name Rodgers.

I think this is Harry/Henry and family in 1891 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGSN-62M   and 1911 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW6Q-5JB although mothers maiden name matches her christian name doesn't  :-\

There  is a marriage of Henry William M Morris to Sarah Jane Hayward in 1882 Strand but by 1891 Henry is living with Emma as wife.  The family birth looks really complicated !!!

Kay

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 October 18 07:32 GMT (UK) »
I gave up with frustration after 5 attempts with different Counties (in England)!
If the Volume Number starts with 11, it's Wales.

If you click on the name of the registration district in FreeBMD it produces a link to a description of the district. including which county/counties it is in.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 October 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »
If the Volume Number starts with 11, it's Wales.

If you click on the name of the registration district in FreeBMD it produces a link to a description of the district. including which county/counties it is in.

Very useful not only to myself but to others too!

Thankyou,

Annie

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 October 18 15:08 GMT (UK) »
The whole scenario of Henry Herbert Morris' (Harry) parents is somewhat bizarre.

From what I can see, his father was indeed Henry William Mayfield Morris who married Sarah Jane Hayward in 1882 - 2 sons Samuel Frederick Mayfield Morris b.1884 Marylebone and Henry Ernest Percy Morris b.1886 Marylebone.   The 1891/1901 census states 'Henry H' was born Marylebone (not in Wales).   I think that Henry Herbert Morris was actually the son born Henry Ernest Percy who was born 23/3/1886, bp.11/4/1886 St. Marys, St. Marylebone and  wife Sarah.   Note his birthdate - same day, month, as Henry Herbert Morris' birthdate but one year out!

'Mildred' Rogers was actually Emma Rebecca Amelia Rogers b.1861 who married an Alexander Lucas Blandford in 1879 Lambeth - they had the following children:

Maud Alexandra Ethel b.1880
Beatrice Grace Lilian b.1881
Dora Helena Louisa b.1885

These children are with Henry and Emma in 1891 but listed as Morris not Blandford.

So, it would appear that Henry and Emma got together between 1886 and 1888 as after then childrens births show as Morris, mmn Rogers i.e. Gertrude Emma May  b.1889, George Frederick Douglas b.1891 and Ernest Percy Malcolm b.1893.

There is no trace of a marriage between Henry W M Morris and Emma R A Blandford, nee Rogers.

Other than the birth entry for Henry Ernest Percy Morris b.23/3/1886 there is no further trace of anyone in this name and from the birthdate given when 'Henry Herbert' died in 1915 i.e. b.23/3/1885 London I believe these 2 are one and the same person (albeit birth year one year out) but can't explain why his second name from 'Ernest Percy' to 'Herbert'.   However, his older brother Samuel Frederick Mayfield Morris was born 27/6/1884 but married as Frederick Samuel Mayfield Morris to an Edith Jeanette Coles on 10/12/1910 Finsbury Park, London.   They moved to Essex where Samuel died in1953 Southend on Sea (as Samuel F M Morris).   It's possible their mother Sarah Jane died Mar.1888 Islington (bc.1856) - if so, there was no reason why HWM couldn't marry Emma (unless, of course, her husband Alexander Lucas Blandford was still alive).  I can't find Samuel F M Morris on 1891 or 1901 census so don't know where he was raised but in 1911 he's listed as Frederick (the name he married under).

So, a) Henry Herbert's mother wasn't a Winifred Rogers, but his 'step-mother' was an Emma Rebecca Amelia Rogers b) Henry Herbert was actually born as Henry Ernest Percy on 23/3/1886 (not 1885) to Henry William Mayfield Morris and 1st wife Sarah Jane Hayward (possibly died 1888).

What a conundrum!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 October 18 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Well done Annette.   I had started to try and unravel it but gave up due to lack of time

I  think in 1891 Samuel was possibly a pupil at Mile End Old Town School and on  his marriage cert there is a correction that Frederick Samuel Morris should read Samuel Frederick Morris and Henry Morris read Henry William Mayfield Morris

Kay

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 October 18 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Great work Annette...

That must have taken some time & thought, well done!

Annie