Author Topic: Some info needed on Catholic burals around 1868 Glasgow  (Read 745 times)

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Some info needed on Catholic burals around 1868 Glasgow
« on: Saturday 27 October 18 21:52 BST (UK) »
I was looking any information on where Catholics were buried who died and lived in the Tradeston Area of Glasgow around 1868? In particular children most likely poor ground burials. Any ideas would be of great help. Thanks in advance.

Mack

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Some info needed on Catholic burals around 1868 Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help with burial places in the Glasgow area but your request may be better moved to the Lanarkshire board where it's likely to get more attention?

Annie

Topic moved.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help with burial places in the Glasgow area but your request may be better moved to the Lanarkshire board where it's likely to get more attention?

Annie

Many thanks Annie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
Mack, have you checked the RC burial register on Scotlands People?

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

See also www.scottishcatholicarchives.org.uk/FamilyHistory/ScotlandsPeopleavailabilityofrecords/tabid/164/Default.aspx

Added: Further details here www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Pages/Catholic-Church-Records.aspx

Apart from Dalbeth/St Peter's Cemeteries, there is also St Kentigern's Cemetery.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 October 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
ScotlandsPeople website has the Catholic Parish Records on a pay as you go basis. Establishing the Parish may get you closer.

There is also the admin department at the Arch Diocese of Glasgow I suppose.

deebel
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 October 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies. I was just looking in general terms for burials for the nearest Catholic grave yards near Tradeston in Glasgow. Near Centre St Wallace St in particular. If in fact Catholics were buried in a particular site.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 October 18 10:00 GMT (UK) »
At that time, the closest Catholic burial ground was St Peter's Dalbeth. Quite a distance from the "South Side", as Glasgow people have always called the Gorbals/Tradeston areas of the city. (Sometimes shortened to S.S. when written).

Anyway, it's not impossible that your ancestors are buried there and all the records for St Peter's are now on-line at Scotlandspeople.  There is a huge burial ground in the Gorbals, with good records as far as I know but I've never had occasion to search them. If there are pauper's burials involved you will almost certainly never find the exact grave as no markers were ever erected.

If you suspect that some of your ancestors did have a pauper's burial, check the Poor Relief claims (if you haven't already done so), held at the City Archives in the Mitchell Library, North St, Glasgow. Some of the information in these claims is phenomenal and I advise you to check them. The area you are looking at would have come under Govan Combination Parish. (For Poor Relief purposes).
There are a couple of threads on this Forum concerning St Peter's and Old Dalbeth (2 Catholic burial grounds side-by-side) and Gerry Farrell, one of the contributors, is the acknowledged expert on that area, he will point you in the right direction, that's for sure.

Good luck with your research and if in doubt, ask this Forum for advice, we are a bunch of know-it-all's here :))
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 October 18 20:36 GMT (UK) »
At that time, the closest Catholic burial ground was St Peter's Dalbeth. Quite a distance from the "South Side", as Glasgow people have always called the Gorbals/Tradeston areas of the city. (Sometimes shortened to S.S. when written).

Anyway, it's not impossible that your ancestors are buried there and all the records for St Peter's are now on-line at Scotlandspeople.  There is a huge burial ground in the Gorbals, with good records as far as I know but I've never had occasion to search them. If there are pauper's burials involved you will almost certainly never find the exact grave as no markers were ever erected.

If you suspect that some of your ancestors did have a pauper's burial, check the Poor Relief claims (if you haven't already done so), held at the City Archives in the Mitchell Library, North St, Glasgow. Some of the information in these claims is phenomenal and I advise you to check them. The area you are looking at would have come under Govan Combination Parish. (For Poor Relief purposes).
There are a couple of threads on this Forum concerning St Peter's and Old Dalbeth (2 Catholic burial grounds side-by-side) and Gerry Farrell, one of the contributors, is the acknowledged expert on that area, he will point you in the right direction, that's for sure.

Good luck with your research and if in doubt, ask this Forum for advice, we are a bunch of know-it-all's here :))

Many thanks for this I am hoping in the near future to get to Glasgow and follow up with the advice given. Regards

Mack