Author Topic: Daniel McKirdy and Sarah McFie  (Read 1932 times)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel McKirdy and Sarah McFie
« on: Sunday 28 October 18 01:16 BST (UK) »
I have an 1857 Greenock death notice for Alexander McKirdy aged 28 showing his parents as Daniel McKirdy and Sarah McFie.  I also found an 1822 marriage for Daniel McKirdy and Sarah McFie, both deceased).  What's interesting is that the death was registered by Alexander McKirdy (his uncle) of 14 Cathcart Street who is my ancestor.  The mystery is that I have not found any siblings for Alexander (parents Alexander and Mary McMillan) so how do Daniel, Sarah and young Alexander fit in?  There is a possibility of a link with Bute, Ayrshire.  Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel McKirdy and Sarah McFie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 October 18 01:12 GMT (UK) »
"I have an 1857 Greenock death notice for Alexander McKirdy aged 28 showing his parents as Daniel McKirdy and Sarah McFie.  I also found an 1822 marriage for Daniel McKirdy and Sarah McFie, both deceased)"

Where was Alexander born according to census record(s)?

Where/when were Daniel & Sarah married?

"What's interesting is that the death was registered by Alexander McKirdy (his uncle) who is my ancestor" 

Where/when was Alexander born?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 October 18 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Looks like I've found them...

Birth
MACKIRDY ALEXANDER 26/07/1807
ALEXANDER MACKIRDY/MARY MCMILLAN (Parents)
564/3 30 97 Greenock Old or West

Marriage
MCKIRDY DANIEL & SARAH MACFIE 13/01/1823
564/3 80 54 Greenock Old or West

Possibly related e.g. brothers marrying sisters/2nd marriage/cousins?...

Births

MCKIRDY JANET 21/11/1815
ALEXANDER MCKIRDY/MARY MCFIE (parents)
558/20 370 Rothesay

MCKIRDY MARY 04/01/1818
558/20 386 Rothesay

MCKIRDY CATHERINE 18/07/1820
558/40 8 Rothesay

MCKIRDY JOHN 25/04/1823
558/40 31 Rothesay

MCKIRDY ALEXANDER 08/02/1826
558/40 53 Rothesay

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 October 18 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the responses.  More info.  I haven't found the birth of Alexander to Daniel and Sarah.  Whilst I've found an Alexander in census records, I'm not sure he's the right person.  There's a 15-year old, b Greenock, in the 1841 census as a carpenter's apprentice, not living with relations, perhaps a lodging house. (My ancestor - the uncle - is a carpenter).  However, as I think he was born about 1829, he'd be younger than 15 but these records are not always reliable.  I haven't found him in the 1851 census.

I had previously found Alexander m to Mary McFie and the suggestion that they could be related is a good one.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 April 20 07:45 BST (UK) »
It's been a while, but I've made a little headway with this one.  My FH has been in storage for a year because of floods etc but I'm picking up the pieces again.
I believe I've found Alex in the 1841 census in the presence of an interesting mix of people.  Alex is 10, which might be reasonably close as he died in 1857 at age 28.  The others in the household are John McFie (38) (a printer), Catherine McFie (73) - possibly John's mother/grandmother but not sure of the relationship with Alex as I haven't linked John or Catherine to Sarah (Alex's mother).  Also present is a James Andrews (27) (a printer) and Isabella Andrews (48), possibly mother and son. and Janet McKinlay (70) who might well be Daniel McKirdy's mother (ie Alex's grandmother).  Isabella Andrews might well be Isabella McKinlay who married George Andrews.  Whilst this provides some answers, it also raises more questions.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 January 21 05:52 GMT (UK) »
I keep coming back to this and haven't made much headway.  Rosinish, I wonder how you linked the Alexander m to Mary McMillan to Alexander m to Mary McFie. 
His parents are shown in birth and death records, though there is a baptism for parents Alexander McCurdy/Mary McMullen in Catholic church records.  I found a Mary McKirdy in the 1841 Greenock census, with three daughters - Mary Ann, Elizabeth and Janet.  I have found a Catholic baptism for Mary Ann (again to McCurdy/McMullen), but no births notices for any of the girls.  This group appears to have moved to Rothesay where I find them in 1861 - again in 1891 (without Mary).  The mother, Mary, is too young to have had Alexander in 1807.  There may be a link with McFies, as Alexander jnr registered the death of a younger Alexander (parents Daniel and Sarah McFie) as his uncle.  Any thoughts would be helpful.  Any further thoughts on Mary McMillan?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 January 21 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Rosinish, I wonder how you linked the Alexander m to Mary McMillan to Alexander m to Mary McFie. 

I haven't 'linked' anyone, I've posted possible connections...

Possibly related e.g. brothers marrying sisters/2nd marriage/cousins?...

I've just replied to your other post & thought it was familiar to me.

Annie