Author Topic: Filling the gap in timeline  (Read 1683 times)

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Filling the gap in timeline
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 October 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Does it say born Caledon?  Or is that his address?

Hi Hallmark, these were the locations listed as place of birth in their 1871 census record in Rickmansworth.
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 October 18 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Does it say born Caledon?  Or is that his address?

Hi Hallmark, these were the locations listed as place of birth in their 1871 census record in Rickmansworth.

It's good to have!  Many just say Ireland!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 October 18 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elwyn,

I also have this document: https://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/Support4.pdf listing the years each county was surveyed and that helps paint a picture of the area covered. Although, when trying to determine the couples next move after Mayo, it doesn't help since there are multiple locations being mapped after they married.

Like you said, he could have been working with the OS as a civilian or military. Then again, might not have been with them until he arrived in England as I have this info which would have him joining later:

Parliamentary Papers, House of Commons and Command, Volume 46
Published 1880
Period of service: 27 years
Retired at age 65. 

This record suggests he joined about 1853 but in the 1851 census, his occupation is listed as employed with the OS. So perhaps he was working with them in a more unofficial capacity until 1853. I know the OS was mapping Lancashire in the 1840's so perhaps that's why they came to England.

I'd have to think there were children in Ireland who died. The RCB library sounds like it could hold some answers. However, like you said, without knowing where they were born, it won't be much help until I do. I live in the States so I'm a bit challenged. This is number one on my bucket list! :)

Life would have been so much easier if my ancestors were farmers and stayed put. My other line was with the OS as well so I have the same problem with them!  :(

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 October 18 15:33 GMT (UK) »
There were Sandfords living in that part Mayo, where they Married, Tax Collectors... this too also involved marking out holdings and measuring acreage, valuations etc

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 October 18 15:35 GMT (UK) »
There were Sandfords living in that part Mayo, where they Married, Tax Collectors... this too also involved marking out holdings and measuring acreage, valuations etc

That's interesting Hallmark. Where did you find that information?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 October 18 22:37 GMT (UK) »
The primary purpose of the Orndance Survey was and is mapping. They had no direct role in valuation or taxation, though their 6" to the mile maps were created in part to aid in the land valuation process. The mapping of Ireland at 6" to the mile took from place 1829 to 1842. After 1842, activities in Ireland were much scaled back.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 October 18 23:02 GMT (UK) »

That's interesting Hallmark. Where did you find that information?

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004587457/004587457_00504.pdf