Author Topic: A Cenotaph Story  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
Re: A Cenotaph Story
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 November 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Good stuff River Tyne Lass. Who knows, the shopkeeper or his wider family might go on to become family historians now you have made him aware of a little piece of his family story. I wonder if any of the other chaps at the shop went away thinking?

Regarding my Dorans I think I have found a brother of John & uncle of John George called Bernard who also died in WW1. Bernard never moved to Blyth staying in Whitehaven. Unfortunately I'm having trouble reconciling the correct Bernard on the CWGC website. It gives a Bernard Doran and a B Doran both in the Border Regiment, they have different numbers and are buried in different cemeteries. Problem is the Families in the grave rego and index. Bernard is said to be; husband of A Doran of 5 Castle Row, Whitehaven and B Doran is said to be; son of John and the late Margaret Doran and husband of Ada of 5 Castle Row, Whitehaven. Parents and wife are correct, I'm thinking an error has been somewhere but with which one? I have sent email to CWGC asking if they can help.
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,