Author Topic: Great War Festival - St Andrew's Church, Monkseaton  (Read 657 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great War Festival - St Andrew's Church, Monkseaton
« on: Sunday 28 October 18 10:22 GMT (UK) »
A Remembrance and Reconciliation Festival is now on at St Andrew's Church at Monkseaton.

http://standrewsmonkseatonurc.org.uk/stan-rarf2018/

This started on October 27 and will continue until November 11.

This festival will include talks, an art and memorabilia exhibition, performances of Mozart's Requiem and thousands of crafted poppies.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great War Festival - St Andrew's Church, Monkseaton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 October 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
How lovely.
Today at church someone was wearing a white poppy held in place by a brooch consisting of a blue and a white dove.
I asked about it and was told it was a peace poppy.
I have not heard about these.
Are they associated with The British Legion?
Not seen any for sale anywhere but in our area the traditional red ones are just on sale, rather later than usual.
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Viktoria,

Thanks for your post.  I am interested in what the local Churches might be doing for the Armistice Centenary and thought others might be interested to know what this particular Church is doing too. :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45971456

Apparently, the white poppy is seen by some as a bit of a controversial symbol.  See the link below.  Personally, I would have no qualms about wearing a white poppy alongside a red one.  Although, the British legion don't sell the white ones (only the red ones, to avoid confusion) they do not seem to object to the white ones.

I don't think there is anything controversial in wearing a symbol for peace and I think it is always the best thing to aim to be a seeker of peace albeit even in times of war.

I do believe that unfortunately, some wars can be unavoidable.  However, I do think it is always best that this is always be the very last resort - as there is always so much pain, suffering and loss on all sides - no outright winners at the end of the day.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Plant a poppy at St Andrews ..

I called in to see this exhibition this morning .. lots of interesting exhibits on show ..

Photos, photocopies of letters sent home, artwork, Great War postcards and so much more.  Really interesting and well worth going along to see.

And if anyone can make it .. there is going to be a talk on tonight about 'Life at the Somme' in the Church Hall - starts 7.30 pm.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 14:49 GMT (UK) »
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/richmond-castle/richmond-graffiti/cell-block-project/

St Andrew's Church also have an exhibit concerning the conscientious objectors and the graffiti inscriptions that they made whilst incarcerated.  The display shows the above link for more information.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, to anyone who may have planned to attend - I have just turned up at Church but unfortunately due to unforeseen illness the talk on life on the Somme has been cancelled. :-\