Author Topic: Jessie Drysdale Ure born circa 1843 - daughter of William Ure & Ann Drummond  (Read 854 times)

Offline Falkirkbairn01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to find more information on Jessie's birth and her mother Ann Drummond. From the 1851 census it seems Jessie was born circa 1843 in Alloa (it says specifically Sauchie in a later census). William Ure dies in 1842 in Falkirk (but I can't trace him in the 1841 census) and William & Ann never marry. Jessie was brought up by her grandparents William Ure & Mary Drysdale (and later her Uncle Charles) in Falkirk. Jessie's marriage certificate in 1868 to James Nicol says her parents were both dead. Does anyone have any information on Ann Drummond? I don't believe she is the one born in Falkirk in 1822 who later marries Gilbert McIntosh because that person is still alive in 1868. William Ure senior owned property and was born in Tillicoultry. I have tried Jessie, Jane, Jean and Janet as well as Drummond, Drysdale & Ure in ScotlandsPeople but can understand if it was hidden as an illegitimate birth. Many thanks in advance.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Drysdale Ure born circa 1843 - daughter of William Ure & Ann Drummond
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 October 18 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Have you already investigated the Ann Drummond aged 25 working as a servant in St Ninians on the 1841 census?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Drysdale Ure born circa 1843 - daughter of William Ure & Ann Drummond
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 October 18 18:20 GMT (UK) »
The fact that Ann Drummond (McIntosh) was still alive in 1868 when Jessie married does not prove she was not her mother.

As Jessie was brought up by her fathers family she may have been told her mother was dead if Ann had no contact with her

Gilbert was quite a bit older than Ann (13yrs) and does not appear to have been previously married as only the children born to the 1846 marriage are with them in 1851 and 1861.  He may not have known about Jessie
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Falkirkbairn01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 October 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.
I had seen the Ann Drummond in St Ninians but did not think she was a likely match. I also had wondered if Jessie had been told her mother was dead. Both families attended the same church and Ann and William shared a common witness for their baptisms even though they were over a year apart. The families also lived fairly close together in the town. As William had died it was maybe preferable just to hide everything although there must have been gossip!
I think I may just have to accept I will never know for sure. Jessie Ure & some of her descendants lead complicated lives but her Uncle Charles did look after her in his will.