Author Topic: Looking for Birth/Baptism  (Read 2443 times)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Birth/Baptism
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 October 18 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Daithi most of my Hartnett family came from Enniskeane.
From the marriage of Anne to John Murphy it gave her father as Robert.
I found several Baptisms including Anne 28th Nov 1844 Enniskeane to parents Robert Hartnett & mother Mary Connell.
I cannot locate a baptism for Robert Hartnett (Cork City) who would have been born c. 1846 in Enniskeane if I were to tie him in with Anne Murphy (Hartnett)
I will have a look for marriage for Robert Hartnett & Hanora Murphy. Tks again

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 October 18 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Daithi found the Marriage Church Robert Hartnett & Hanorah Murphy 17 Feb 1867 in Cork & Ross Parish Murragh & Templemartin  so the family must have originated in this area same as Anne Hartnett married to John Murphy
Its very puzzling trying to sort out.
Robert Hartnett was born c. 1846 & Hanorah Murphy born c. 1855 probably in this area also

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
great amount found out - well done!

Just to say sometimes its not that the name was interchangeable as much as misheard, miswritten or mistranscribed.

I have ancestors whose last name was CALDAY for a few years in the mid 1850s which coincides with a change of priest/handwriting. They were illiterate and oblivious to how their names were being spelt. Before and after this period they were GILDEAs with alternatives of GILDAY, KILDAY, KILDEA......

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 18:27 GMT (UK) »
    great amount found out - well done!

Just to say sometimes its not that the name was interchangeable as much as misheard, miswritten or mistranscribed.

I have ancestors whose last name was CALDAY for a few years in the mid 1850s which coincides with a change of priest/handwriting. They were illiterate and oblivious to how their names were being spelt. Before and after this period they were GILDEAs with alternatives of GILDAY, KILDAY, KILDEA......

great result with great research by rc members. I am confident i have tied up the connections to my family thanks to all contributors

Offline hallmark

• ~
    • RootsChat Marquessate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 18:29 GMT (UK) »
    With some not having images yet...  double check them when images are put online!
    Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »
    With some not having images yet...  double check them when images are put online!
    will do but for now i am confident taking into account different factors surname is hartnett not hodnett. My ggrandmothet was catherine hartnett who i believe was 1st cousin to ann murphy murragh cork and robert hartnett fairhill cork