Author Topic: Obit, Alexander Porter, date of death Apr 23, 1905, Gortamney  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Obit, Alexander Porter, date of death Apr 23, 1905, Gortamney
« on: Monday 29 October 18 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone have an obituary for Alexander Porter who  died Apr 23, 1905 in Gortamney? His wife was Mary Cousley. Alexander's father  was John Porter and wondering if his mother might be Ann Leacock. Alexander was born 1815-1820. If his obit mentions Leacock relatives, I might be on the right track. I found baptisms at Wood's Chapel for Hugh Porter in 1808 and James Porter in 1814 with parents John Porter and Ann Leacock. Alexander's father was John so wondering if he might be from the same family.
Thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Obit, Alexander Porter, date of death Apr 23, 1905, Gortamney
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 October 18 15:44 GMT (UK) »
a Alexander porter, widow lived at 1 Gortamney Tobemore aged 84
Samuel 28, Sarah 26, James 36

1901 census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

http://www.magheragenealogy.org/tag/tobermore

No.44
Erected by John Porter in loving memory of his dear Father and Mother, Alexander Porter 23.4.1905 aged 90 and mary Porter died 25.10.1887 aged 60.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Obit, Alexander Porter, date of death Apr 23, 1905, Gortamney
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 18 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes, rathmore, you have found the correct family on the 1901 and the correct marriage in 1848. Also correct headstone. Alexander's marriage shows that his father was John but I am trying to ascertain if his mother was Ann Leacock. I have found Hugh born 1808, James born 1814 Ballymaguigan, and just this morning Margaret Porter born 1816 with parents John Porter and Ann Leacock and wondering if Alexander belongs to the same family. I think it is quite feasible and thought an obit might help. I don't want to "jump the gun" and say Alexander does belong to the same family as the same names are used over and over again and perhaps there was another John Porter in the area. Alexander's fourth daughter was Annie Mary whereas if he followed the naming pattern, it should be his second daughter.
Alexander does name his second son John if I have the correct dobs however both Alexander's father and Mary's father were John.
Thanks for your help.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland