Author Topic: On finding a wonderful cache of unknown documents by accident  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
On finding a wonderful cache of unknown documents by accident
« on: Monday 29 October 18 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Alice is the other half of my profile name.  At the weekend we went to visit her elderly mother. Before taking her for a walk, Alice looked around her flat to find some gloves for her mother.  In a drawer Alice found a small wad of very old looking documents, a brown paper package, tied up with string, so to speak.  We immediately recognised them as of of great interest as I am researching her family history as well as my own.

Her great great grandfather was a Scottish sea captain, born in 1820, running away to sea in 1835 aged 15.  For the next 50 years he sailed the high seas, ending up as a ship's captain for the second half of his career.  Existing documents have told us that he visited North and South America, South Africa, Thailand, China, Australia and many of the Polynesian Islands.  Among the documents that we found at the weekend was the original 1835 indenture for his apprenticeship.  That alone will take hours to read as it was a very large sheet.  We also found a document relating to his purchase of shares in one of the ships which he captained.

The Captain and his wife had both had previous marriages before they were married to each other. She had a daughter born just before she lost her first husband in a sea accident. Amongst the documents, we also found the marriage documents for the daughter's two marriages. Ironically HER first husband also died in a shipping accident, probably suicide, which was documented in the Press at the time. We also found records of his attendance at church.  Also in the documents were the original copy of the Captain's Mariners register ticket and Master's certificate. We also found what was either an early will, or a draught version of it, which in itself has raised more questions than answers. I will be probably returning here with a request for help in respect of that, in days and weeks to come.  Finally there was a document relating to an 1870 pension.

We were both so excited to find this trove, but I also wanted to tell of the discovery to others reading here, as you never know what you will find in an ancestor's desk drawer, even while they are still alive.  It has answered some questions which we thought would go unsolved, but it has also given rise to further mysteries. 

Martin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: On finding a wonderful cache of unknown documents by accident
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 October 18 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant,
What a find :)

I was recently in a cousins house that was bursting to the seams  !!!! literally and I darent ask to peek....

But bless her she gave me a treasured photo of 4 gens that I never expected to meet up in this short life we lead..

xx

xin

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 18 14:32 GMT (UK) »
What a great story and a great find Martin, you never know when your going to stumble upon something that opens up a whole new world of information. 

I was once in a library in a small village, talking to my husband about my family history, a lady nearby heard me.  It turned out she had lived next door my grandfather's cousins.  The information she had enabled me to contact a fourth cousin who had loads of photos and information from his mother's family history research.

It's so exciting it's always great to share it with people who understand  :) :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 October 18 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Reminds me of a house I once visited that was stuffed with bundles of old letters, wads of old family photos etc etc... the man was 102 y.o. living in nearby old folks home and had just sold the house.

I got talking to the builder who bought it and told him all the stuff should be gathered up and given to Library.

He laughed....a few weeks later house was demolished and contents dumped and buried in field!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 October 18 15:44 GMT (UK) »
How lovely. Years ago when I was in my early twenties and not particularly interested in family history, my grandfather sold up to move in with my aunt after my grandmother had died. Everything including photos and the family bible went to auction. He did it without telling anyone of his decision until afterwards,but as i was getting married I got the gift of a lounge carpet. Nowadays I would much rather have had some photos!
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 October 18 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Great find Martin!!  ;D ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 October 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
So jealous!

Some 40 years ago a genealogical colleague heard a relative whom she knew had a cache of “stuff” but wouldn’t part with it had died, she made contact with the son or daughter who said she was welcome to come and look.  Off she rushed, when she got there they had decided to “help” and had already gone through a lot of stuff and BURNED what they thought was rubbish. This included the very things she had known were there but hadn’t been able to look at.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 October 18 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Gloriously exciting, what fun you will have examining those!
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 October 18 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm really thrilled for you Martin, you lucky so and so to find what is practically the ancestor's extremely interesting life story.

I too have found several treasues, but was once dismayed when I phoned up one of my late OH's oldest cousins who lived in the far north east to say I had started his family's history and did he have any family stories, etc.   He did have a family story but then went on to tell me that he had burned his late father's old attache case which only contained old land deeds, wills and certificates going back to when the family lived in Suffolk and Norfolk.

Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke