Author Topic: 20th century baptism records  (Read 1500 times)

Offline explanatory

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
20th century baptism records
« on: Monday 29 October 18 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone - I'm hoping to find the church record for a deceased ancestor born in Dublin in the 1930s. I have a copy of the birth entry from the General Register Office, but it's missing a first name. I understand this wasn't entirely unusual, but I'd like now to find the church baptismal record.

The GRO directed me to St. Mary's Pro-Cathedral as the most likely place for baptism. I sent them an email a few days ago but haven't had a reply yet, and their telephone number doesn't go through to a person. I'm of course happy to wait on an email, but hoping to pick your collective brains on: is it generally quick and easy to find a "modern" baptism record? Is email the best way, or does this kind of thing often require a trip to Dublin?

Thanks!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 20th century baptism records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Clergy often get letters or emails asking for information and it varies greatly on whether or not they respond in any way to requests. However, in the case of a 'recent' baptism where they have no proof of death they may not be willing to supply such details to anyone but the person in question or immediate family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 18:36 GMT (UK) »
I don't know about Ireland but Catholic Church in England has a privacy policy for baptisms less than 110 years ago. As Aghadowey said, you will have to provide proof of death and relationship. Find out what the diocese policy is.

Again I can only speak for Britain but generally speaking, modern clergy of all denominations are time-poor, some ministering to several parishes. Some won't have time to reply to FH enquiries; they are too busy with the living.

Does the cathedral have a website? There may be information on it about enquiries like yours.
Cowban

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 November 18 00:02 GMT (UK) »
The Pro-Cathedral has an archivist, as far as I know. I'd wait for a response to the email. I find the parishes can be weak on their data protection knowledge.

Since you already have a date of birth, it shouldn't be too difficult to look up a baptism around that date, if it took place there. However, it was the largest parish on the north side of the river.
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 November 18 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Try Church Records at Irish Genealogy.ie, enter the surname and then scroll down through list, if its Pro-Cathedral and you have apprx dates and parents name then it hopefully will turn up.

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 November 18 09:26 GMT (UK) »
There's a few records from the first decade of the 20th century on irishgenealogy for the Pro-Cathedral but nothing as late at the 1930s.
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire