Author Topic: Street Address 198 St George Street as was in the year 1884...  (Read 1652 times)

Offline bastawolfie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Street Address 198 St George Street as was in the year 1884...
« on: Tuesday 30 October 18 04:19 GMT (UK) »
My late Paternal Grandmother's 'Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth' reads in part "...Registration District 'St George in the East', Birth in the Sub-district of 'St George North', in the 'County of Middlesex'..."

The date of Birth was Fourth of September 1884, and the place of Birth is written as being '198 St George Street' - a document to hand 'St George-in-the East Church - History of the parish and its principal church' tells that down the years many street names have changed with appropriate reference to a major renaming scheme starting in1857, another in the 1890's, and the next big scheme having occurred between 1929-45...

I have been unable to locate '198 St George Street' as referenced above and would appreciate any information as to the Street's location then, it's contemporary 2018 name, or if indeed the Street as was then in 1884 still exists...

Regards                 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Street Address 198 St George Street as was in the year 1884...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 04:48 GMT (UK) »
St George St is now "The Highway" (A1203):

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=51.5094&lon=-0.0621&layers=168&right=BingHyb

It looks like very few, if any, of buildings from that time remain ....  :'(
"Telfords yard" between Virginia Street and Breezer's Hill (used to be a sugar refinery and might have been there in 1884.) 
Maybe The Old Rose pub, cnr Chigwell Hill (opposite the church)? Pub is in a poor state, sadly.

I'm sure someone will help you locate No 198.  :) Were the family at the same address in the 1881 or 1891 census? If so you could look at the neighbouring properties to try to get an idea of the whereabouts of No 198 (it may be beside a pub or near a particular street corner for example).

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Per the 1880 PO Directory, 198 would have been next to the Red Lion pub, between Pell Street and Neptune Street.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 09:05 GMT (UK) »
That is excellent Shaun.  :)
Which of the PH's do you think 198 would have been beside?
In fact, wow, what a lot of Public houses in the area! Probably serving the workers at the docks.  :)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Number 198 would have been just about exactly opposite Breezer's Hill. Where the bus stop is nowadays. https://goo.gl/N5DEfc

Households in 1881, Wilhelmina Cole; Frederick Qualport; Isaac Clark
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 09:29 GMT (UK) »

The name of the said person will help.     
There are indices available with "publicans" listed.

"The Red Lion is near to the corner of Pell Street, which is virtually opposite Breezers Hill - Mapco ; and opposite the Red Lion, later referred to as in Pennington Street. The very early address is at Ratcliff Highway"

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
The house numbering for St George's St remained the same from that of the Horwood maps of c1812. The numbering matches with Shaun's directory of 1880, and the layout with Ruskie's map c1892.

Looking at the 1892 map, 198 was immediately west of the Red Lion PH and adjacent to the unnamed Merton's Court, in the little block between Ship Alley and Pell St, as said, opposite Breezer's Hill.

As an aside ... the 1880 directory shows the names of the publicans at both the Red Lion and the Cock & Neptune as Martin Heesemann and William Knuppel respectively. As was quite common during the 19c both of those men had previously worked for many years in the local sugar refineries and were both of German origin. Heeseman from at least 1854, Knuppel from at least 1851. Knuppel died at the Cock & Neptune in 1897 aged 77 and there's a headstone to him in Tower Hamlets Cemetery. His estate was valued at almost £4000.

For the local refineries, see www.mawer.clara.net/white6.html

<i>added</i> ... sometime after the 1881 census, Martin Heeseman moved to a pub in Hammersmith. He died in 1893 aged 63.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »
That's very interesting sugarbakers. It all adds to the big picture.  :)

I noticed several "sugar" related buildings in the near vicinity.

Offline bastawolfie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your collective responses to my query Ruskie, ShaunJ, Ray and sugarbakers - through your various references and via Google Earth I have been able to locate and view the present day environs about and including the Bus Stop virtually opposite Breezer's Hill...

The Family in question were by name Christopher and Bridget May - other than the Birth Certificate for my Grandmother Elizabeth Johanna May I have no information relating to the Family prior to or at that time; Christopher May was by Occupation a River Side Labourer, so the probability is they were paying rent for their accommodation...

This enquiry has come from New Zealand, and your prompt and kind responses are very much appreciated...

Regards to All