Author Topic: Thomas Roper.  (Read 3113 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Roper.
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Are you aware that you can pay for and immediately download the certs online. It’s cheaper.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jamjar for your devotion and information. I will do as Majm and you have suggested and get the Death Certificate for Ann Roper. I can't know for sure if he was their child, until i get this Certificate. 
No, i did not know that getting a "download" of a Certificate is cheaper............i will look into it tomorrow.
Best wishes and thanks to you all...............Cinny22

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 November 18 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
                    Just continuing on from my Thomas Roper theme. UNFORTUNATELY, I received the Death Certificate for Thomas's supposed mother.........Ann Roper, nee Pook (D.1915) who married James.

I'm sorry to let you all know, that no children are listed on this Certificate, so no easy road.
Is there any way now that we can possibly find the parents of Thomas?
You thoughts will be invaluable.
My Best, Cinny22. 

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 02 November 18 07:30 GMT (UK) »
That’s disappointing, indeed.  :(

I can’t think of any way forward.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 02 November 18 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Queensland historical records
Thomas Vincent Roper
Death 19/8/1985
Date of birth 1900

Outside possibility if desperate? Ready to be shot down in flames!
Vincent Rogers
Birth date 3/3/1900
Mother Kezia Jane Rogers

Mother said to have married John Hamilton? (October, same year)

Also, Thomas Vincent Cockerill, mother Mary Cockerill, but d-o-b is 9/2/98
(Actually there are quite a few Thomas Vincents)

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 02 November 18 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Dear jonw65,
                       Thank you so much for your thoughts. Just as a matter of facts: Thomas Roper to my knowledge only started to use the "Vincent" section of his name around the late 50's very early 60's............for reasons known only to him self. Not sure if it has any "bearing" on his birth etc. I know he did not use it in his Army Records, for both Wars.
If only there was a small "lead" to his identity. I guess if he was adopted legally, there would be a trace, but not sure even if this is so.............i know many families just took people in if they could.
Not really sure now whether to give up on this, it all seems so helpless.
Many thanks once again. Cinny22

Offline Rhonda May

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 02 November 18 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cinny
It is possible your Thomas discovered or knew the ROPERs were not his real parents and later in life found VINCENT was part of his real name.
Rhonda

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 02 November 18 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If Thomas was adopted by the Ropers I guess that there would be nothing formal to find (going on the UK, where that would start in 1927)

It's the best I could come up with, just trying to keep it going! But I don't want to lead you down a blind alley. I did look at one of the trees on ancestry that has Kezia Jane Rogers, and there was no mention of a son Vincent on that (don't know about the others).
Her likely parents (Edward, Phoebe) may have been in Geebung, Brisbane, in 1903, which is supposed to have been the residence of James Roper when he married in 1894. How big was Brisbane back then?
Next door suburb(?) is Zillmere, mentioned in the death announcement of James, 1904, and maybe where Kezia's married brother was living. Haven't gone into the rest of them! Do you know when the Ropers left that area for Toowoomba?
John

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 02 November 18 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
                    Just continuing on from my Thomas Roper theme. UNFORTUNATELY, I received the Death Certificate for Thomas's supposed mother.........Ann Roper, nee Pook (D.1915) who married James.

I'm sorry to let you all know, that no children are listed on this Certificate, so no easy road.
Is there any way now that we can possibly find the parents of Thomas?
You thoughts will be invaluable.
My Best, Cinny22.

May I ask for the name of the informant and their relationship to Ann as per her d.c.   I am wondering if that informant would have actually known of Thomas ...

Formal adoptions commenced in the 1920s here in Australia.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.