Author Topic: Thomas Roper.  (Read 3141 times)

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Roper.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 07:43 GMT (UK) »
If they did Adopt...............surly, Thomas would get a mention in one of their records? Wouldn't it say on a Death Certificate.............Thomas Roper Adopted son.......perhaps??
Would there be any Records any where, for an adoption?
My best, Cinny22

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 07:48 GMT (UK) »
I know i was told that Thomas Roper was born 3rd of March 1899, Brisbane and his parents were James and Anna Roper nee Pook

How do you know this?

His folks died different years, so not in an accident.

I see his death cert has no folks names listed. How do you know that Thomas Vincent is the man you seek?

I have a cert for a chap with 7 children listed and the eighth being born to the mother prior to marriage being left off.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,
                I know his Date of Birth, by his Army Records...........i have both sets. Now his parents actually came from your records. I had no idea who his parents were at this time. He was, and still is a complete mystery.
He never married and had no children or family...........and he lived all his life from approximately 1930 until his death in 1985 with in our family. It's toooooo bad, we never asked questions! But he was a very quiet and solitary person. Best, Cinny22

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Was just reading his military file and of interest is the address given:

C/- of Mr C E Wilson, of Moggil.

Here is a photo of the sons of Charles whose wife was Anna POOK:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20108985

1887   C8790 Arthur Edward Wilson parents Charles Edward and Anna Pook

1890   C11696 Albert Wilson parents Charles Edward and Anna Pook

1891   C11362 Richard Martin Wilson parents Charles Edward and Anna Pook

So, that’s two POOK’S he’s seen to be related to.

Jamjar

Added: Another person mentioned on page 27 of his record:

1893   C10850 Alice Undine Wilson parents Charles Edward and Anna Pook

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Now his parents actually came from your records

I don’t know who his folks were. I’m just working on what was posted on your old thread.

Jamjar

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,
                   This is what i cut and copied from a previous conversation.
RootsChat Aristocrat

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Thomas Roper
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 15 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  Do you know his parents' names please?

Edit to add, from QLD BDM Online:

I think his mother is Anna POOK who was first married to Charles Edward WILSON and then to James ROPER.
Anna POOK and  Charles Edward WILSON being the parents of Alice Undine  WILSON, the name mentioned in Thomas' war service record..
 I have not found Thomas' birth under any of the posted surname.
Possibly you have this information already.

Leanne

I had no idea of his parents names until this information.
Now, i'm on Ancestry and have spoken to a "Pook" member of family. He told me that Hannah Pook, a sister to Ann Pook married Charles Edward Wilson. She APPARENTLY was married under the name of Anna Pook. He told me that this makes it difficult as members get mixed up between Hannah and Ann Pook who married James Roper!!

But if this is so, why did Thomas Ropers WW1 Record say that his mail was to go c/- Charles E. Wilson........it makes no sense.
Also, you tell me that Ann Roper died in 1915, but her name was "Roper" when she died, so....wouldn't her surname be Wilson, if she actually re-married to Charles?
I do hope i'm not wearing you out? Much thanks for your help and patience. My Best Cinny22

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 08:36 GMT (UK) »
I think the Hannah is correct for the wife of Charles and will be Ann’s sister.

His folks are supposedly deceased and C/- is an uncle and aunt. Makes sense. The question is more why he then has an aunt as NOK.  ;D

Jamjar

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

:)

Re the information on those Queensland death certs .... the question asked was likely similar to the question asked in NSW at that time ... it was basically a question as to the children of the marriage ... so children born outside of a marriage, were often NOT recorded on the d.c. for one or both parents.   

May I suggest you have a good inspection of the d.c. to check  the full heading of that column ... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,
                   This is what i cut and copied from a previous conversation.
RootsChat Aristocrat

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Thomas Roper
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 15 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  Do you know his parents' names please?

Edit to add, from QLD BDM Online:

I think his mother is Anna POOK who was first married to Charles Edward WILSON and then to James ROPER.
Anna POOK and  Charles Edward WILSON being the parents of Alice Undine  WILSON, the name mentioned in Thomas' war service record..
 I have not found Thomas' birth under any of the posted surname.
Possibly you have this information already.

Leanne

I had no idea of his parents names until this information.
Now, i'm on Ancestry and have spoken to a "Pook" member of family. He told me that Hannah Pook, a sister to Ann Pook married Charles Edward Wilson. She APPARENTLY was married under the name of Anna Pook. He told me that this makes it difficult as members get mixed up between Hannah and Ann Pook who married James Roper!!

But if this is so, why did Thomas Ropers WW1 Record say that his mail was to go c/- Charles E. Wilson........it makes no sense.
Also, you tell me that Ann Roper died in 1915, but her name was "Roper" when she died, so....wouldn't her surname be Wilson, if she actually re-married to Charles?
I do hope i'm not wearing you out? Much thanks for your help and patience. My Best Cinny22

from the other thread ...

Funeral announcement Queenslander 19 June 1915

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/22298061

ROPER -29th of May, at Brisbane, Ann Roper, widow of the late James Roper, of  Gowrie, Darling Downs, aged 49 years.   

ADD
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/174896293 7 Nov 1908 with Probate announcement re James Roper's death as 23 Oct 1904 (of Gowrie Estate)

Add
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-23668-46273-24?cc=1927198

Cheers,  JM

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.