Author Topic: School Uniform Suppliers - Manchester  (Read 2776 times)

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: School Uniform Suppliers - Manchester
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I'd not thought of the one in St Anne's Square - been thinking of the top end, Market Street, after I'd thought of Kendall's. Sorry.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Another thread on Manchester-forum.co.uk, topic Notre Dame High School, Cheetham, Manchester mentions uniforms from Henry Barrie in 1960s. Post is by Cheethamgirl.
Manchester-forum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6014.0

Heywood, I transgressed by wearing a coloured pac-a-mac instead of regulation transparent one. At least the waterproof to cover my boater was transparent ("Rain-mate"?)

My only visit to the store (Bolton) may have been to buy a replacement cardigan. I wore a plain, home-knitted one for a while, probably until there was enough cash to buy the official one. The only other uniform items I needed replaced were blouses and regulation knickers for thrice-weekly gym & games. Thankfully I stayed small & thin so the rest of the uniform lasted from 1st-year to 6th-form.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 17:55 GMT (UK) »
There's a vintage school uniform website (what used to be called second-hand). Currently featured is a pair of knickers dating from 1950s but unworn. Price - a jaw-dropping £150.  :o  Claimed to be a rare pair and to last a lifetime if treated properly. Made in Leicester. Stretches to 38 inch waist. Definitely made for growth.
Cowban

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 19:00 GMT (UK) »
There were two shops at the top end of Market St.
Hope Brothers and Horn Brothers,
The one on the end of High St ,across from the old M&S sol,d uniforms for quite prestigieous schools.
We got blazers for our boys there,the first time my younger son wore his he
fell off a wall and damaged the barathea all down one sleeve.
The shop took it back and put a new sleeve in at a cost of fourteen shillings
This was 1965.
Our boys were at school in Belgium ,not at one of the schools who used th e shop for uniforms.We got them caps too (normal,wear for boys in the 1960s.)The blazers and caps were not for the same school,consequently they looked as if they had been expelled from two good schools.
My School used Henry Barrie’s in St Anne’s Square.
There was a Peter Barrie’s too nearby.
Lewis’s sold Manchester High School for Girls uniforms,.Navy blue and gold.
Our school was Oxford blue and gold.
The Oxford blue was not always easy to get other than at Barrie’s.
Good thinking by our pedantic headmistress.I t meant we could not have any variations on her theme! Gosh the rules.
I was so glad to have a uniform as my mum and dad were of very modest means but in a uniform I was as good as any other girl in the school.
We wore short socks until we were 18, in the sixth form. ::)
Viktoria.

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 November 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Somewhere deep in the recesses of my brain it tells me the name was Horns. I had heard of Barries but I will go for Horns.

Paul
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.