Author Topic: John McKenzie WWII  (Read 2488 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McKenzie WWII
« on: Tuesday 30 October 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I am trying to find out more info on what role my grandfather played in aiding the war effort during WWII. The only info I have is from his first wife's death record in 1941.

Jean McKenzie nee McGregor died 3rd September 1941 in The Royal Infirmary, Townhead, Glasgow aged 31 years. Her husband, my grandfather, is listed as a Chemical Worker and their usual residence is listed as Mill Street, Campbeltown.

My Grandfather would have been 36 years old at the time of his wife's death, and with a little daughter of 2 years of age. His usual occupation would have been Fisherman.

Is there any way of finding out more?

Thanks - Keelan

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John McKenzie WWII
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 19:42 GMT (UK) »
If he is shown as a chemical worker in 1941 that would suggest he was not serving in the forces at that time.  Are you basing it on the difference to his occupation as a fisherman or some other info?

See this link

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McKenzie WWII
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I think I am basing it on his change of occupation, as prior to and post war, he is a fisherman until he settles in Northamptonshire, England to work in Steel Works.

I also thought, as a younger man, he would have been required in some way to contribute to the war effort? But maybe having a young daughter would have changed that for him?