Author Topic: William & Rosina Dobbins  (Read 3524 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William & Rosina Dobbins
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 20:43 GMT (UK) »
that's it in a nutshell!   ;D

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delayed reply. So after reading all that I missed, which caused a minor nosebleed from the confusion it caused me  ;D I am back..

What I am about to write down is just so I can get my thoughts onto something -

William Herbert Dobbins 23/01/1914 - 08/2001 married Ethel Margaret Seaborne 03/11/1918 - 08/2004, in 1940. Their daughter Margaret Elaine Dobbins 05/03/1942 - 25/11/2016 is who I am connected to.

Margaret told me, that her father's parents were called William & Rosina. Once I had found the birth registrations of William Herbert & Thomas Henry, I guessed that her name was Rosina Vale. However, I was never able to find a death for a Rosina Vale, nor a marriage for a Rosina Vale or Dobbins that seemed to fit.

So Osprey, you think that this Henry Toy is the father of William Dobbins, who was born illegitimately to Elizabeth Dobbins? It seems Elizabeth had a few illegitimate children. One family tree I have found lists a James Cooke as the father to two of her children - James & Mary Ann.

The father of William Herbert Dobbins then, was not William Dobbins, but Arthur John Dobbins? And Arthur would have been the uncle of William Dobbins? Or do I have that wrong.  ??? ???

EDIT - Now I come to think of it, Thomas Henry Dobbins married a Rosina Elizabeth Cook/e. Maybe that is where Margaret got the name Rosina from.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I was initially mainly interested in tracing back the lineage further for William Herbert Dobbins, believing his parents William & Rosina to be a bit of a mystery.

Osprey, how were you able to access baptismal records for William & Thomas?

I am very grateful to you and Gadget for helping me with this. I have been struggling with it for some time now.

Keelan

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 22:11 GMT (UK) »
the baptisms are in the Wales parish records on FindMyPast.
Henry Toy is noted as William's father on his marriage record. 1901 census shows William as adopted son. There is nothing so far to suggest that Henry is William's biological father.

Arthur, the father of William Herbert, is Arther James at birth, Arthur John on his marriage in 1890, and Arthur James on the probate record. Address is Market Road in Nantyglo from 1891 onwards.

The marriage record of Elizabeth's son Albert Leonard is also in the Monmouthshire parish records and noted his father as James Dobbins, butcher. The father of Mary Ann Dobbins is noted as James Dobbins, labourer. Walter Dobbins married in Llanhilleth parish church in 1903, father noted as James Dobbins deceased.
It's not unknown for someone to give the furst name of their father with their won surname to cover up illegitimacy.

;)

In 1881, Elizabeth's son James Dobbins is a visitor in a Cook household in Bridstow.
RG11/2584 folio 94 pg 21
Elizabeth Cook head widow 64 b. Little Birch
Elizabeth dau widow 33 b. Sellack
James Cooke son 31 general labourer b. Sellack
James Dobbins visitor 4 b. Bridstow

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb