Author Topic: HS2 and Cemeteries  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HS2 and Cemeteries
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 October 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
Good morning.
Just not sure if this is the right thread or not.
Has anyone been watching The Big Dig with Alice Roberts? We are finding it fascinating TV.
I'd be interested to hear other viewers in-put.

Judy

We are watching the programmes.

Interesting, yet sad that the resting places are being disturbed for a dubious transport project.

I usually enjoy archeology programmes, but not the big dig: probably because I believe the bones are to be re-buried in a different county.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 October 20 17:30 BST (UK) »
Very interesting article

https://paulbigland.blog/2018/10/30/digging-up-graveyards-for-hs2-its-not-as-if-it-hasnt-been-done-before/

Fascinating link, thank you.

In the mid 1960s there were plans for a dual carriageway to connect the Coast Road from Tynemouth with the Central Motorway East along a widened Jesmond Road, encroaching on part of the cemetery. In 1967 the private company was wound up and returned to the City Council. About 600 graves (nearly 1,100 burials) some more than 100 years old, would need to be exhumed and reinterred, and John Dobson’s magnificent entrance gateway and chapels would have to be moved.

Notices were issued and the attempts made to contact the relatives of the burials involved. Relatives were given the option to carry out removals to any other cemetery, or to allow a transfer to another part of the cemetery. The Council undertook to re-erect all monuments and tombstones unless in a ruinous condition. Years later the number of unclaimed graves was ‘considerable’, and of those families successfully contacted only two opted for private removal. Only one was ‘not keen to have remains disturbed’. The rest of the tombs had to be moved without consent.

The estimated cost of re-siting the gateway and chapels amounted to £100,000. Because the buildings were of exceptional architectural and historical importance the Environment Minister offered a 75 per cent grant to re-site them. In 1971 work began on the removal of the graves, ‘with the utmost reverence’ by the London Necropolis Company. Public access was not allowed. All soil was sifted for remains which were then re-coffined and reburied. The work on the Jesmond Road border took several months. At a later date more exhumations took place on the Sandyford Road and in the South West area. Eventually the whole bypass scheme collapsed because of legal difficulties and when the project was resurrected nearly 30 years later the ‘dualling’ of Jesmond Road and the widening of Sandyford Road never took place.

https://www.geni.com/projects/Jesmond-Old-Cemetery-Burials/29648
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 October 20 19:21 BST (UK) »
  "Central Motorway East" I guess that is the road my mother used to complain about that was driven through the centre of Newcastle? Was it originally going to carry the A1?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 May 23 05:06 BST (UK) »
Has anyone heard anything about when the coffin plaques they found at the excavation of the St James' Cemetery are going to be displayed?

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 June 23 16:02 BST (UK) »
The last three words very true! What a lot of money could be redirected if the project was to be abandoned ... but "they" will say they've gone too far along the road to pull back now, of course.
There are at least two practical problems with abandonment, and believve me as a former rail worker I firmly believe that a project to speed up the railway could have been implemented at a materially lower cost than the sums spent on HS2, but that is another argument!
 In my opinion "They" ie HMGovernment of whatever colour believe they have gone too far along the road to pull back now.
They probably have for at the very least these reasons:
1) Contractual obligations, in that if the project were to be abandoned now, the recipients of the contracts would sue (and win) for breach of contract. Not only would the contractors be compensated, they would also receive their legal cost which would be high to say the least.
2) This (1 above) could be overcome if the government involved was prepared to pass laws forbidding any case resulting from the abandonment to come to court if, they could get it through parliament and were prepared to show that they were an anti democratic authoritarian government, I don't think fortunately that either party would want this label available to their opponents to use.

So, where next, and in future? Before they ever surfact major projects must be subject to a real and meaningful public scrutiny with measures in place to overcome the all to often seen "nimbyism"
Difficult, but in the long term best.Any government should be prepared to take difficult decisions for the public good, even if that goos is in the very long term, which I do not believe was the case for HS2.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 June 23 16:49 BST (UK) »
With all the technology that we have these days it shouldn't be difficult to design elevate railway lines, similar to the ones Japan has had for decades
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 June 23 17:03 BST (UK) »
If I had my way, then HS2 would be interred in a cemetery  :o

I live in Tamworth and we are surrounded by problems caused by the dreaded HS2.  What is even worse is, that when/if it is finally up and running, then we will have to travel to Birmingham to access it.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 June 23 22:12 BST (UK) »
If I had my way, then HS2 would be interred in a cemetery  :o

I live in Tamworth and we are surrounded by problems caused by the dreaded HS2.  What is even worse is, that when/if it is finally up and running, then we will have to travel to Birmingham to access it.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  :-X

Despite denials I have always thought that this railway line is the result of London house prices being too high for most people who work in London and who need cheaper housing..

The television didn't give any publicity to the group of railway workers who once appeared on television to outline their cheaper alternative.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 June 23 10:02 BST (UK) »
With all the technology that we have these days it shouldn't be difficult to design elevate railway lines, similar to the ones Japan has had for decades.
Try and sell that proposal to anyone near the route - it would probably get stronger objections than HS2, which is, and always has been, a Vanity Project with artificial 'benefits'.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young