Author Topic: Tenements in Leeds - 1846  (Read 2125 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tenements in Leeds - 1846
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
It does seem to have changed names over the years.  I'm 100% sure that it says Railway Terrace on Ruskie's original posting, and the same location on Stan's map shows Walker's Terrace.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all that, I'll check that out a little later.

My other question was "- In 1840 and 1846 I find him in the Electoral Rolls for Leeds, in particular in 1846 .  It looks as if he is the owner of several properties; am I reading this right? "  (originals attached to first query.) 

Not sure if we have 'landed gentry', or just an opportunist builder throwing up slums!

Pam

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I don't personally think that he was either "landed gentry" or "opportunist builder".

He was a Wheelwright by trade, so not an affluent occupation.  Perhaps he inherited the properties - have you looked for such a possibility?
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hmm.  I hadn't thought about that.  Their parents have, I think, died before 1841 so difficult to tell whether there was anything to inherit!

In 1840 Thomas is in the E Roll noted living in Accommodation Road, with Qualification noted as Freehold Houses (not detailed) in Railway Terrace.

Guess this will remain a mystery.

Pam

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 10:35 BST (UK) »
Just adding a query to this:

I have now located Railway Terrace, just off Accommodation Road, Leeds.  I visited Leeds Library and they showed me a map, I think of 1851 or slightly before.  Copy attached.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344959 (1852) shows the buildings but un-named.

But, in the 1841 Census I have family Joshua Walshaw and Elizabeth Hanson (mother-in-law) living in Bevis Street, Leeds.  Paging through the census, Bevis Street is next to Railway Terrace, York Road, Accommodation Road.

BUT, try as I might I haven't found Bevis Street on any map!

Any help or ideas???

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 11:42 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 census, the addresses before Bevis Street are Nippet Farm, Nippet House, Rock House and Stoney Rock, which suggests it could be anywhere between that sort of area and Railway Terrace. Two possibilities come to mind:

First, there were 15 households there in 1841, so a road of that size ought to show on the 1852 map. I wonder if it could be what's labelled there (and on later maps) as Springfield Terrace? I know from my own family that people moved around quite a bit in that area, but in case some didn't, can any of the 1841 families be found around there in 1851? (Also, is Springfield Terrace listed in 1841?)

Second, I see that St Stephen's Church was built in the early 1850s. Could Bevis Street have been demolished to make way for it?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk