Author Topic: Fanny Bennett Gurr b 14 May 1848 Nutley, Sussex and Thomas Buchan bc1811Scotland  (Read 6109 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fanny Bennett Gurr b 14 May 1848 Nutley, Sussex and Thomas Buchan bc1811Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is Andrew and Catherine in 1841:

Address Primrose,Glencorse, Midlothian

Andrew Buchan 74 Overseer
Catherine Buchan 66
James Buchan 34 Forrester

All born Scotland

1851 has this

Address Auchendinny,,Midlothian (in Glencorse CP)

James Buchan 45 b Newlands
Margaret Buchan 45
Ann Buchan 12
Mary Ann Buchan 9
Catherine Buchan Mother 78 b Newlands.

James can be followed in the censuses until 1891.He died 29 May of that year. His death cert.names him as the widower of Margaret Trail.His parents are named as Andrew Buchan(deceased) farm grieve and Catherine Buchan (deceased) m/s Haddow-informant John Hamilton son -in - law.

If the occupation of Andrew Buchan shown on Thomas Buchan's death cert is farm grieve,overseer or similiar this would help to confirm the link.

There is a death in the OPR's for an Andrew Buchan 9 May 1844 in Glencorse age 80. I cannot see a death for Catherine and woud assume that she died between 1851 and the start of civil registration in 1855.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Fanny Bennett Gurr b 14 May 1848 Nutley, Sussex and Thomas Buchan bc1811Scotland
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Do you think the name Vallance was maybe Thomas's mother's mn?

In my own experience of surnames as middle names I have found they follow through from the maternal line as the surname follows from the paternal line although this does differ at times although I haven't seen it too often.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 November 18 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone looked at that death certificate of the 47-year-old Fanny Buchan in Peebles in 1891? I see that the index does not give another surname for her, so it may be that whoever registered her death didn't know who her parents were.

Also, if she was in Peebles workhouse in the 1891 census, the Peebles Parochial Board would have had extensive details about her, which might include where she was born and possibly where her husband was born. I have no idea whether the records of the Peebles Parochial Board have survived, but I would certainly recommend asking. They may be catalogued as Poor Law Records.

Start at https://www.liveborders.org.uk/archives.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 November 18 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Lots of work done, well done everyone :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 November 18 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone, excellent research. I got the death certs for Thomas Vallance and Fanny Buchan, the informant for Thomas was a neighbour and he passed away at 14 Citadel St, Leith, 11/9/1881. As for Fanny it was her son, Andrew who lived at 52 Old Town, Peebles, gave her age as 47 whereas she was 43 in fact as on the 1891 poor house census; she passed away there 12/10/1891. I guess as he was only 15 at the time, he wouldn't have known her correct age or father's details as he was a baby when Thomas passed away?
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 November 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Andrew remained in Peebles - he married Mary Geddes Dodds in Peebles 17 June 1898.His parents are named as Thomas Buchan and Fanny Buchan m/s Gurr. He died in 1947 - there is a grave for him and Mary showing in Peebles Cemetery on Findagrave.

Going further back there are births showing for an Andrew Buchan 30 May 1794 and Anne Buchan 5 Sept 1892. Parents Andrew Buchan and Catherine Haddow. in Symington, Lanarkshire.( Not far from there to Newlands).  I believe this is the same couple  who had children later in Newlands, Peebles. There is a  death for Ann Buchan mmn Haddow in 1859 in Leith - her married name was Thom. She  can be identified in Currie, Midlothian in the 1841 and 1851 census. In the latter her p.o.b is given as Newlands -her niece Catherine Buchan is recorded with her in that census.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 02 November 18 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes Millmoor I found that gravestone too, also the same couple on the 1901 census with 2 sons, one was killed in action 5 Mar 1916.
Wondering about Robert George now?
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 November 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a death for a Robert Buchan in Peebles in 1886 - age 13.

William

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 November 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes Millmore that is him passed away 1/2/1886 in the poor house.
Also found Andrew and Mary nee Dodds at 1911 with 9 children but the one that was killed in action isn't there unless they're mixed up, Mary's parents and siblings are at the same address?
Is there a cheaper way of getting the other 7's dob's, etc without paying on SP?
Cr