Author Topic: Fanny Bennett Gurr b 14 May 1848 Nutley, Sussex and Thomas Buchan bc1811Scotland  (Read 6105 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Fanny Bennett Gurr b 14 May 1848 Nutley, Sussex and Thomas Buchan bc1811Scotland
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 November 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Is there a cheaper way of getting the other 7's dob's, etc without paying on SP?
There's no way of getting certificates without someone paying something to SP.

You could try http://www.sctbdm.com/index.php but they only have tiny proportion of what is available. It relies on people who have paid for certificates providing the details.

Some people who have put trees online have added copies of certificates bought from SP, even though this is in breach of copyright. Again, the chances of someone having done this with one the certificates you want is very small unless they are researching the same family.

The cheapest way to get certificates is to go to the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh* for a day. You pay £15 and you can transcribe any certificate you like at no further charge, or print off pre-cutoff certificates (births over 100 years ago, marriages over 75 years ago, deaths over 50 years ago) for a small additional charge - I think it's about 30p per certificate.

*Or Glasgow, Inverness and Hawick, though their opening times may be shorter than Edinburgh's.

If you can't get to Edinburgh, you could hire a professional searcher to find and transcribe or print off the certificates you want. This might be cheaper than downloading the images, depending on what the searcher charges.

At £1.50 per certificate, they are much cheaper than English ones (£6) and a lot cheaper than certificates in most other countries.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fanny Bennett Gurr b 14 May 1848 Nutley, Sussex and Thomas Buchan bc1811Scotland
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 November 18 14:36 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is Thomas Buchan pre 1871

There is a marriage of a Thomas Buchan to Janet Henderson in Penicuik 8 June 1838

1841 census has Thomas and Janet Buchan in Penicuik - both 30

1851 census has a Thomas Buchan b Scotland about 1808, a servant in Woodlee House, Patcham, Sussex - he is a coachman and gardener, showing as married presumably to Janet Buchan b c 1806 Scotland, a dairymaid. (Also in the household is an Alison Henderson b c 1825 Scotland, a cook.   

The 1861 census seems to have them transcribed as Bucar

Thomas Bucar  52 b Scotland Cow Dealer
Jeanette Bucar  54 b Scotland
Jeanetts Gurr 15 b Brighton servant.

Address is Providence Place as in 1871 (he also appears in the electoral registers at 25 Providence Place 1861 - 1873).

There is this death in 1867.

Jane Henderson Buchan b c 1808 died Q4 1867 Brighton.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 November 18 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting Millmoor, Alison Henderson mentioned is one of my ancestors but her sister Janet was b 1825, so perhaps this one b earlier is a relation of hers? Difficult to check though as marriage transcript doesn't show her or his parents-it's the old style marriage list?
As to SP looks as though I'll have to 'bite the bullet' and keep buying using the credit system; I know it's a lot cheaper than the GRO here but when there are a lot of children, it's still expensive!
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 03 November 18 03:04 GMT (UK) »
5 certs. on SP is less than the cost of 1 full price cert. from GRO, it's also downloadable there & then, no waiting on snail mail delivery, cheaper than anywhere else in the world with more info. than any I know of.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 November 18 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Not disputing the value of SP's certificates, just that with big families and me being a not rich pensioner, it gets expensive.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 03 November 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 census seems to have them transcribed as Bucar
The original reads
Thomas Bucan
Jeanett Bucan
Jeantt Gurr

Never trust a transcription (not even mine!) - see the attachment.

The site where I got that has transcribed them as
Thomas Bucan
Jennet Bucan
Jennet Gure
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Fanny Bennet Gurr b 14 May 1848 Nutley, Sussex and Thomas Buchan bc1811 Scotland
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 03 November 18 09:52 GMT (UK) »

The 1861 census

There is a birth of a Janet Gurr, mmn Henderson, Q3 1846 Uckfield RD which would cover Nutley.  Henderson is also the mmn of Fanny Bennet Gurr on gro so I guess this is her sister as a servant with the Buchan family.  Henderson strikes me as a Scots name so maybe there is a relationship between the Buchans and the Hendersons somewhere up the line which might have something to do with the move from Scotland to Brighton.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 03 November 18 09:56 GMT (UK) »
My post was written in order to help others to locate the census in question, Forfarian. I would be surprised if an experienced researcher such as yourself did not understand that.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 03 November 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »
This is proving to be a most interesting topic as it appears that Thomas Buchan seems to have married Fanny after the passing of Janet, so presumably there must be a link to another part of the Henderson family in Scotland as you said Pheno.
Cr