Author Topic: Fanny Bennett Gurr b 14 May 1848 Nutley, Sussex and Thomas Buchan bc1811Scotland  (Read 6108 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fanny Bennett Gurr b 14 May 1848 Nutley, Sussex and Thomas Buchan bc1811Scotland
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 03 November 18 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Another Henderson connection?

The 1871 census has Margaret  Gurr age 7, a visitor with Thomas and Fanny Buchan.

Groindex has this birth Dec Q 1863  Uckfield Margaret Gurr mmn Henderson

There  is also a baptism of a Margaret Gurr 13 Nov 1863 Danehill,Sussex. Parents  Henry Gurr and Margaret.

Frustratingly I cannot see any Gurr/Henderson marriages :-\

William   
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fanny Bennett Gurr b 14 May 1848 Nutley, Sussex and Thomas Buchan bc1811Scotland
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 03 November 18 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes Millmoor, Margaret (bapt 13 Nov 1863 private) was the sister of Fanny; their mother, Margaret nee Henderson passed away 10 days after the birth of Margaret in 19/11/1863.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 03 November 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »
My post was written in order to help others to locate the census in question, Forfarian. I would be surprised if an experienced researcher such as yourself did not understand that.
I understand that perfectly.

I was attempting to make the points that (a) transcriptions can never be relied on and (b) different transcriptions contain different errors.

Neither the transcription you quoted nor the one I quoted renders all three names correctly.

An inexperienced researcher using the site I used would not have found the relevant listing using the transcription you quoted. Also, I have failed to find Thomas as either Bucan or Bucar or anything else on two further sites that have transcriptions of the England 1861 census.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 03 November 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
For information  Thomas Buchan is transcribed in the 1861 census  as Thomas Buran on Familysearch and, therefore , FindMyPast.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 03 November 18 12:31 GMT (UK) »
For information  Thomas Buchan is transcribed in the 1861 census  as Thomas Buran on Familysearch and, therefore , FindMyPast.
QED :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 04 November 18 09:29 GMT (UK) »
My cousin believes that Janet Henderson was one of our original Henderson's and the aunt of Alison and Fanny. There is in fact a 2 year gap between the children of James Henderson b 1767 and Janet nee Idington b 1768 and there isn't another Janet in their family, so would go with the Scottish naming tradition of naming after the mother.
So thank you all.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Tucbuchan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi all, sorry to join the party a little late. I am the 3X Great Grandson of Thomas Buchan's
Older Brother John. Thomas's parents were Andrew Buchan and Catherine Haddow.
Here is a wee list of names and DOB's of his siblings.

Anne 5/9/1792 Symington Lanarkshire.
Andrew 30/5/1794 also Symington.
Edward 2/4/1796 Newlands Peeblesshire.
John c 1800 ?.
James 8/1/1806 Newlands Peeblesshire.
George 26/9/1811 Newlands.
Edward Robert 30/3/1813 Newlands.
Robert 25/2/1815 Newlands.
Katherine 19/12/1817 Newlands.
Thomas married Janet Henderson in Penicuik 8/6/1838.
1841 census the Buchans are living at Old Cornbank Penicuik. He is employed as a farm labourer. After that he disappears until I read this thread.
It maybe of interest to you to know that two of his brother's, Andrew and Edward Robert moved to America in the early 1830's and were among the earliest settlers in what now is Wisconsin.
Regards David B.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 08:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tucbuchan and as you say being late at the 'party' you've confirmed what has been found out on here already. The part about his siblings is of little interest to me as his family is not directly related to my Hendersons'.
Cr