Author Topic: Daily Reports  (Read 935 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daily Reports
« on: Wednesday 31 October 18 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi
    I found in Forces War Records that Grandads brother was listed wounded  Shell shock on 9/6/16 in Daily Reports
Archive No DT10061916
A footnote says some records will contain more information than listed above, so I wonder if it would be worthwhile getting the record, and where from?
I would have thought he went to hospital but his record says
Connaught Rangers
Posted 6 batt 23/3/16
Posted 3 batt 25/10/16
Posted 16 infantry base depot 22/11/16
Posted 6 batt 24/11/16
So he was still at the front with shell shock?
He was discharged August 1917 after convalescence in Cork
Thank you for any advice.
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Reports
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
That is indicating that Forces War Records don't have his detailed service record but that if it survived bombing in WW2 when 60% or so of records were lost, it will be findable on other subscription sites (Ancestry or Findmypast).  It also is saying that his medal records are also findable.  War diaries too for his battalions can be found although mention of individuals are rare.  As he was discharged in 1917 there should be a Silver War Badge record too.

If you'd like to post his name and any details some pointers will be forthcoming!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that,
He was pte 3030 Joseph Collin but this entry is just J Collin and there is also an entry for silver war badge.

His war record has not survived he joined KOYLI in 1914 and was transferred into Connaught Rangers, this information came from a letter from Bourne Avenue in 1984 but his record has been lost like my grandads so the only information I have is from these letters. Ironically I asked for their uncles details and they said it had been destroyed but his has turned up! I thought he had joined in 1914 but had been in since 1905 and was recalled and two of his brothers turned up, they had lied about being younger but we're rejected for poor sight.
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Something not quite right.

The only Silver War Badge for a Collin in the Connaught Rangers has the number 5/1930.  Discharged 6 Oct 1917. The number though seems an error, the medal card for 5/3030 Joseph Collin survives, the medal roll shows he served overseas only in 6 Battalion Connaught Rangers.

In essence, with the additional medical info, you now have all that survives of his service records.  The war diary is available to download  for £3.50 at:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352853

As he did not qualify for a Star, he would have gone overseas after the end of 1915.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again MaxD.
That is him. I have a photo of him wearing his silver war badge, Grandad never claimed his medals, he told Gran that he posted them home and they never arrived but the medal rolls revealed that they weren't awarded until 1920 & 1922 when he was already home so it has been a guessing game trying to piece it together as he didn't talk about it.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
MaxD thank you for the link to the war diary which I have downloaded, it's lengthy so will read it properly when I get time. At the time of his wounding they were in trenches at Philosophe  and were heavily shelled but the damage was repaired and the following night they were relieved and returned to billets at Mazingarbe. So that's a little more that I didn't know, there are no names for casualties at that time but we're earlier

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 November 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Forces War Records have told me that the reference
DT10061916 means Daily Telegraph 10 June 1916 and sent the scan of it so Joe was probably wounded a month or so before that to make it to the paper

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 November 18 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes I meant to say something like that before.  It could actually be as much as 2 to 3 months before.  GHQ in the field had to collate the reports across the whole of the army and send them to the War Office.  Then they had to be prepared for publishing and then sent to the newspapers so "Daily" really means "latest".

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 November 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I just found that he was in A coy and wounded on May 15 1916 along with 11 others at Loos where his brother was killed. The war diary says the day was quiet but they'd had an intense bombardment the previous night.
Got there in the end