Author Topic: Lookng for Grace Campos in California  (Read 711 times)

Offline msbonbon65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lookng for Grace Campos in California
« on: Wednesday 31 October 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I have traced my great, great, uncle Domingos Campos and his wife Isabel Silva from Somerset, Massachusetts where they married on 16 Oct 1893; however, I am unable to locate a 1900 Census for them. I did find a 1910 Census for them in Montezuma, Solano, California which shows them with a daughter Grace Campos 12 yrs old born 1898 Massachusetts. I can not find a 1920 Census for the family, but I did find the 1930 Census Georgiana, Sacramento, California for Domingos Campos who is a widower and born Azores and 59 yrs old. I also located a 1940 Census O'Neal, San Joaquin, California for Domingos Campos single, born Azores, and 69 yrs old and I located death information for Domingos Campos  died 1 Oct 1947 Yolo, Yolo, California buried in Sacramento Memorial Cemetery. I also located death information for Isabel Campos who died June 1929 and was buried 26 June 1929 Sacramento, Sacremento, California in St Joseph's Cemetery.

I can not trace their daughter Grace Campos after the 1910 Census which shows her born 1898 Massachusetts an 12 yrs old. She would be 22 yrs old on the 1920 Census so she may have married, but I can't find anything on a marriage or a death for her. I have no idea how to obtain the California death certificates for Isabel and Domingos whose death certificate would most likely have her name on it as the informant of the death.

Any help that can be provided will be appreciated!   Maria

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Lookng for Grace Campos in California
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »

Death announcement in the Woodland Daily Democrat (Woodland California) 26 June 1929 - page 5
didn't help with any next of kin.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 20:49 GMT (UK) »

Could this be possible for Grace........Grace Campus Jardine  ???

Oakland Tribune (Oakland California) - 17 March 1929 page 58

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile

Offline msbonbon65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 November 18 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Thank you, for the Obituary, Divorce Arcticle and the WWI Registration Card for John Jardin and Grace Campos I will do some further checking, but I'm pretty sure this is my distant cousin as she lived in Montezuma, Solano, California on the 1910 Census; the other Grace Campos in Solano, California is the wife of John M Campos so Campos is her married name rather than her maiden name.

Maria

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 November 18 10:02 GMT (UK) »
I did notice the other couple in Solano but they are together thru 1930, 1940 census and appear on find a grave together. Just coincidence they have the same christian names but of course easy to discount.
It could be Grace Campus Jardine has remarried and mad it more difficult to trace her.  Have you got an exact date of birth for her.   ???
Did you notice on the 1910 census Isabel says she had no children  ???

No further info on the California Cemetery Transcription - Sacramento Memorial Cemetery.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-81WN-WRM?i=29&cc=1985807

Sandra

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 November 18 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Here is the newspaper clipping with marriage licenses issued for them. It gives their supposed ages at the time . He is 29 and she is 18.

These clips are from two different sources. The one clipping the ages are hard to be sure about, but the 2nd one is very clear with ages at the time.

Oakland Tribune
Oakland, California
Saturday, January 02, 1915 - Page 15