Author Topic: Who is the father of James MacPherson, Surgeon Dentist d.Jan 25 1844, Glasgow?  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the father of James MacPherson, Surgeon Dentist d.Jan 25 1844, Glasgow?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 November 18 01:32 GMT (UK) »
the Y-DNA matches put our ancestors on the west coast at Sunart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunart

"Sunart (/ˈsuːnɑːrt/ SOO-nart, Scottish Gaelic: Suaineart) is a rural district and community in the south west of Lochaber in Highland, Scotland"

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline JSAndo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the father of James MacPherson, Surgeon Dentist d.Jan 25 1844, Glasgow?
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 November 18 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Emma
Sorry - newbie to Rootschat and I read your initial post as coming from Annie. I hope your Dad appreciates your efforts.
My son-in-law is via John Duncan Graham Macpherson, so a third cousin of yours. It's appropriate that I talk to him before I go further into his family line, etc., so please allow some time for that.
Here's a bit more research re James:
By mid-1819, he was practising in Glasgow as a ‘surgeon & dentist’ (later shortened to ‘surgeon-dentist’).  He was initially at 57 Maxwell Street, sharing premises with grain merchants and bakers, but shortly moved to 54 Argyle Street and, later, to no. 599 further along the same street.  By 1825, he was at 76 Buchanan Street, occupying rooms there until 1830 at least.  For much of his career, though, and certainly from 1831, he both lived and worked at 69 St George Place, West George Street. 
Certainly interested, too, in Forfarian's "newspaper clipping...which said James Macpherson was dentist to the great families of the west of Scotland".
Really, though, I have so much on James, and on Robert Nasmyth Macpherson, inc. copious endnotes, that I think it's better to share off-forum.
Rootschat rightly cautions us against publishing our emails on forum: so, if you post that you're willing, I'll send what I have to your Retreat e-ddress.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 November 18 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Certainly interested, too, in Forfarian's "newspaper clipping...which said James Macpherson was dentist to the great families of the west of Scotland".
Not mine! Emma was the first to mention that. Credit to her, not me.

Rootschat rightly cautions us against publishing our emails on forum: so, if you post that you're willing, I'll send what I have to your Retreat e-ddress.
That's what the P(ersonal) M(essage) system on RootsChat is for. You can contact Emma direct by clicking on the wee symbol lke a sheet of paper under her name.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JSAndo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 November 18 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Oh, dear - thanks, Forfarian.
As I said, new to Rootschat (and most ancestry sites!) and joined up to help Emma!
I'll do as you suggest.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 November 18 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Oh, dear - thanks, Forfarian.
As I said, new to Rootschat (and most ancestry sites!) and joined up to help Emma!
I'll do as you suggest.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 November 18 14:16 GMT (UK) »

His will showed him to be a very rich man, leaving in today's money over £900000, so I'm guessing the father would have been a professional of some kind,

This stands out for me. He may well have been a successful dentist surgeon....not sure it would pay so much to let him build up this amount of wealth and assets  :-\ Could part of his wealth have been family money and assets that he inherited?

Did he leave a will & testament? Wonder whether this would provide further clues as to his assets at death.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JSAndo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 November 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »

His will showed him to be a very rich man, leaving in today's money over £900000, so I'm guessing the father would have been a professional of some kind,

This stands out for me. He may well have been a successful dentist surgeon....not sure it would pay so much to let him build up this amount of wealth and assets  :-\ Could part of his wealth have been family money and assets that he inherited?

Did he leave a will & testament? Wonder whether this would provide further clues as to his assets at death.

Monica

Can't define any sources of James money before he started practising.
When he died in January 1843, James left a substantial personal estate (including several hundred £ in what looks like unpaid dental bills!) of over £7300. As Emma says, a lot of money in today's terms.
His wife came to their marriage with, or soon after inherited, wealth in her own right. Her own estate ten years later was also substantial (just under £3400).
Think you need to post once more before we can correspond through Personal Messaging, Emma. Apparently, however, it won't permit attachments.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 November 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Was James MacPherson also involved in the sugar trade, Glasgow's main source of wealth after the American Revolution, there was a James MacPherson listed with 10 slaves in Jamaica. No accident that Glasgow was first to erect a major monument to Lord Nelson as he chased the French from the Sugar Isles.

Skoosh.

Offline JSAndo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 November 18 22:19 GMT (UK) »
No knowledge of any slave or sugar connection for this James Macpherson.