Author Topic: Brazil family - Irish Travellers?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline nfall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brazil family - Irish Travellers?
« on: Thursday 01 November 18 03:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the Brazil family in Ireland early 1800s. My ggg grandfather Patrick Henry (?) Brazill was born 1828 in either County Kilkenny or Killarney and was a sailor going back and forth from Cork to America before he met and married the local lord's daughter in Ireland and went with her to America in the 1850s or so. His father was born "on sea" so seems also to have been the son of a sailing family of some sort (?) or maybe while being sent to Ireland, I don't know. I have genetic matches with several descendants of Travellers including a Brazil. But most Brazils seem to be in England. Any help appreciated!

Also are the Brazills Travellers or Romany or both? I've seen people say they are both?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Brazil family - Irish Travellers?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 November 18 03:34 GMT (UK) »
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline nfall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 November 18 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! I decided to post this on the various county pages involved so as to maximize the likelihood of someone who knows the answer(s) seeing it. Sorry if that's not good form! I'm new here.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 November 18 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I hadn't noticed you were new, I'd only noticed duplicate headings on various boards.

Having multiple threads is fine if links are provided & also best with so many at one time to direct people to one thread in particular with any replies to prevent duplication of effort i.e. different people looking up the same info. someone else has already found & posted on either thread.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline nfall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 November 18 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I hadn't noticed you were new, I'd only noticed duplicate headings on various boards.

Having multiple threads is fine if links are provided & also best with so many at one time to direct people to one thread in particular with any replies to prevent duplication of effort i.e. different people looking up the same info. someone else has already found & posted on either thread.

Annie

Thank you!! Sorry about that - also wow good catch. That's good to know and I plan to post any info I come up with on the other threads. :)  (and ideally direct to one thread)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 November 18 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Have already replied on one of your threads!!

Too busy to reply 4 or 5 times to each thread!

There is a reply there if you want to copy and paste it on every thread you have, then people will not be wasting time posting what I've already posted!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 November 18 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I have removed the duplicated topics with no replies to leave just the one topic for folk to post on. Topics can be moved from board to board if required, to do this you just click on the button that says "report to moderator" and let us know where you want your topic to go.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk