Author Topic: SA migrant John Carter who may have died back in Scotland 1908  (Read 1379 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
SA migrant John Carter who may have died back in Scotland 1908
« on: Thursday 01 November 18 06:38 GMT (UK) »
John Carter was born in Glasgow on March 19, 1851 and emigrated to South Africa (Cape Town) with his parents and brothers when he was about 7. I have quite a bit on his life in Cape Town - wife Ann Maria Green Bashforth, lots of children, etc. but have been unable to track down any record of his death apart from a date given on his wife's death notice. She only died in 1930 in Johannesburg (where she went to join one of her daughters), but his death is shown as May 17, 1908.

Family stories passed down suggest that he and wife returned to Scotland at least once, and I am wondering if he died there, or en route perhaps. I have exhausted all avenues I can think of for a death with his name and year in 1908 in South Africa and Scotland and although I can see a few possible matches on the passenger list header records in FindMyPast, it's pretty hard to guess which may be him. Of course a name like John Carter doesn't make it easy!

There is one John Carter who travels in 1908 and there's an A.M. Carter in the same year (Carter   A M   —   —   1908   Passenger Lists Leaving Uk 1890-1960   Cape, South Africa), and clutching at straws, wonder if this could be the pair of them and he dies along the way...

I'm not very hopeful but if anyone has any ideas or is able to provide any further info about the 1908 passengers, I'd appreciate it!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: SA migrant John Carter who may have died back in Scotland 1908
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 November 18 08:31 GMT (UK) »
It is just possible that the year on his widow's death notice is incorrect.

Just realised that you have quoted a possible passenger in passenger lists leaving UK in 1908.

I take it that you have checked the deaths of the John Carters born 1851 plus or minus two years who died in Scotland in 1907, 1912, 1914 and 1920?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 November 18 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Forfarian.

Yes, it is possible that the date is incorrect...

Oops, I mis-read the journey direction!

It was some time ago that I did the checking on the Scotland deaths, so can't recall the details, but will re-check. I don't think that he could have died as late as 1920 though.

He was a baker, btw.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 December 18 13:07 GMT (UK) »
      Just as a matter of interest, there was an Ann Maria Bashforth baptised on Oct 30th 1853 at Hoyland Swaine, Silkstone, Yorkshire.      Parents William and Mary.      William was a Nail Maker.

Hoyland Swaine is just south west of Silkstone.       I wonder if they went back there, instead of Scotland.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 18 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, doddsie.

I did investigate your lead, but her death notice says she was born in Cape Town (c.1856 - no baptism found). Her father was from Sheffield and joined the Royal Artillery in 1847, and possibly met her mother when he was stationed near where she lived in Hounslow, although he was stationed in the Cape Colony by 1851 and they only married in Cape Town in March 1854. (I haven't found any records of either's passage to the Cape.)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 December 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
There is a 58 yr old John Carter arriving in London from main departure port of Delagoa Bay, Mozambique on 6 April 1908 (various stops). However, wife is Bessie and has a son Jack. Not your man. Can't easily make out his occupation.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 December 18 19:01 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Mrs A M Carter (no age) arriving by herself from Durban SA on 10 Sept 1910 in to Southampton. She is ticked off as English, but a possibility?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 December 18 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Monica.  :)

Her full name was Ann Maria Green Carter (Bashforth) - not sure where the Green came from because her mother was Clark(e) - but I suppose it's likely that they'd drop the 3rd initial on a shipping record. Perhaps that is her, as she moved north to Johannesburg (I think to join a daughter) at some point after John's death, and Durban would be the nearest point of arrival for that city. Perhaps she spent some time in England and/or Scotland and then decided to move up to Johannesburg.