Author Topic: Vine Lodge, Ladysmith, Natal?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Vine Lodge, Ladysmith, Natal?
« on: Thursday 01 November 18 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Readers,

During our research of:
    Henry Kennett Osborn (b:1853, Cork, Ireland; d:1941, Vine Lodge, Ladysmith, Natal) and his wife,
    Marie Alberta Osborn (nee Cox), (b:1856, Bath, England, d:1929, Vine Lodge, Ladysmith, Natal)
we were intrigued to discover that Vine Lodge is mentioned elsewhere on the Internet in connection with the Boer War.  We have attempted to find images of Vine Lodge, without success and are wondering if anyone with local knowledge of Ladysmith, could comment on whether or not such images might be found locally of Vine Lodge in the early 1900's, say 1900 towards 1950.

Henry and Marie departed England between 12/1881 & 10/1883, initially settling at Estcourt where Henry is shown as 'Post Master' on the Baptism Records for four of their children, the family moved to Ladysmith sometime between 06/1889 & 09/1892, where again Henry is shown as 'Post Master' on the Baptism Records of their final four children.

My wife who is a direct descendant of Flora Augusta Pope (nee Cox) an older sister of Marie Alberta Osborn (nee Cox) and would be pleased to obtain images of Vine Lodge if they exist, an added bonus would be to learn if it's location is identifiable on Google Maps.

Thank you. JohnG_Swansea
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Vine Lodge, Ladysmith, Natal?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 November 18 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Ladysmith History And The Boer War
http://www.ladysmithhistory.com/

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 November 18 10:15 GMT (UK) »
George Frederick was the second son of Edmund Tatham. Born in 1848 in England, he came to Natal with his parents when he was two years old. He was a Land Surveyor in Ladysmith, founder and senior partner in the firm Walton and Tatham, Conveyancers, Law, Land and Estate Agents and Surveyors. The name survives in Christopher, Walton & Tatham, Attorneys, of Ladysmith. He was a Member of the Legislative Assembly 1897 to 1903. He served in the Zulu War 1879. He and his wife were in Ladysmith during the Siege, he serving as a Major in the Natal Carbineers, and his wife took in sick and wounded and nursed them at their residence, Vine Lodge, Ladysmith. He took a decisive part in the action of 6th January 1900 at the battle of Platrand, when General White sent him up several times in a reconnaissance balloon, using his knowledge of the area to direct the artillery and troops and to act as a guide. He also took part in the successful attack on Gun Hill on 8 December. He wrote a diary of every day of the siege which was published by the Ladysmith Historical Society. George Frederick Tatham died in Ladysmith in 1908, having had a stroke in 1905 He was noted far and wide for his kindness of heart, and never refused to help anyone in time of trouble. [TFSA, rev]
Surveyor and founder of Waltham and Tatham Solrs., Agents and Surveyors. JP. Member of Natal Assembly 1897-1903. Major in the Natal Carabineers. Served with distinction in the Boer War and in particular during the Siege of Ladysmith. Took key part in the "Waggon Hill Fight" on 6.1.1900, saving key defensive position from being captured by the Boers. [Falconer tree; Kennedy tree]
Positions in 1897: Vice-President, Ladysmith Railway Rifle Association; Vice-President, Klip River Rifle Association; President, Ladysmith Gymkhana Club. [Natal Almanac, Directory and Yearly Register]
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 November 18 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you solidrock, your link to LadysmithHistory<dot>com has provided us with a very interesting read, albeit that with a number of domestic interruptions it took me some considerable time to finish reading the several pages in the collection, an interesting read but unfortunately nothing leading to any images of Vine Lodge the residence of my wife's ancestors through the 1920's, 30's and early 1940's.

It is indeed amazing what one discovers when one re-visits official documents that were missed the first time round, we have now discovered from Henry K. Osborn's official Death Notice that the full address of Vine Lodge includes "38 Murchison Street".

When re-visiting Google Maps it is implied that 38 Murchison Street would be somewhat further south-west along Murchison St. from its junction with Princess, (link) the junction where All Saints Church is located and at which Henry Kennett Osborn was 'For many years a "Churchwarden" of this Parish and a "Lay Reader" of the Diocese'.  Needless to say in the intervening seventy plus years Vine Lodge has been replaced by more modern buildings.

Pampoen, likewise your contribution was an interesting read.

I thank you both for responding to my enquiry.

JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 November 18 09:37 GMT (UK) »
John I have sent you a PM.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 November 18 10:39 GMT (UK) »

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 November 18 11:41 GMT (UK) »
John I have sent you a PM.

Thankyou, read with interest and I have already replied.

Edit:
Also the link to the Getty Images, likewise interesting, and in some respects 'unsettling'.  With regard to the eighteenth(?) image, the street scene with the policeman watching the wagons go past.  Is there a list anywhere indicating the location of the images?

JohnG_Swansea.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 November 18 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Vine Lodge, 34 Murchison Street, Ladysmith.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 December 18 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Vine Lodge, 34 Murchison Street, Ladysmith.
Thank You Pampoen, A superb find!

As I intend to add the image to a family history that is being assembled, are you able to provide any credits for the source of the image?

I have attempted, without success, to add three smallish family snapshots of what I suspect is the same building found in a photo album of photo's taken by Emily Laura Barber (nee Pope) when she returned to Natal in 1936-37, to visit several of her 'Osborn' Aunt's & Uncle's who had remained in Natal and moved elsewhere in South Africa, Emily having been born in Howick in 1886, whilst her father, Benjamin Pope worked on the then New Build of the Railway from Pieter Maritzburg via Howick, Estcourt, Ladysmith and, we believe, further inland.

I'm now going to try to work out what I'm doing wrong with my attempt to add the images to this post.

Thanks again JohnG_Swansea.