Author Topic: Ancestry suggestions - complete nonsense!!!!!  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry suggestions - complete nonsense!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 05:58 GMT (UK) »
"Because some people just aren't very bright."

Exactly.  And if you are reasonably bright, you don't put your tree on Ancestry.  You just use Ancestry as a source of data, as if it were a library and nothing more.  You keep your tree on your own computer and by doing so, you ensure that you are never plagued with hints that are useless or even worse.
I have my tree on Ancestry, and I'm certainly not "plagued" with useless hints - in fact, there are parts of my tree where there seem to be few other researchers - I would love to have the occasional hint. Any reasonable person can judge what hints are of use.

John.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 07:16 GMT (UK) »
"Because some people just aren't very bright."

Exactly.  And if you are reasonably bright, you don't put your tree on Ancestry.  You just use Ancestry as a source of data, as if it were a library and nothing more.  You keep your tree on your own computer and by doing so, you ensure that you are never plagued with hints that are useless or even worse.

Well I must be really thick then as I have a few trees on Ancestry (for different areas of my research). A view it as additional off site back up of what research I've done. I don't rely on the hints.  I look every so often think "eh why?"and then give up again (give up with the hints I mean).
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 07:30 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Hi,

i have just changed my Op system and loaded the gen. software Gramps. I have realised that keeping a tree anywhere other than on your own computer is asking for ...Problems.  that said Iam stuck with what i did put up years ago and to add to the issue any deleted stuff does not go into limbo. somehow they save it all.  It is there even if you cannot see it.  i deleted stuff in an attempt to rid myself of the unnecessary Hints.

Esssnell