Author Topic: ffolkes Family of Cambridge branch going to Derbyshire  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ffolkes Family of Cambridge branch going to Derbyshire
« on: Thursday 01 November 18 17:38 GMT (UK) »
 Hello, I am seeking confirmation that Thomas Folkes (d. 1655), vicar of Bolsover, Derbyshire 1647-1655, and his brother Simon or Symon (d. 1668), yeoman, of Eckington, Derbyshire, were originally from Cambridge and are the brothers in these baptismal records:
Symon Foolkes, baptized at Westley Waterless, Cambridge, at St. Mary the Less, May 3, 1598, son of Symon and Mary Foolkes of Westley Waterless.
Thomas Folkes, baptized at Brinkley, Cambridge, Jan. 13, 1599, son of Symon and Mary Foolkes.
The will of Thomas Folkes was made in Bolsover June 8, 1655, probated Feb. 1, 1656, and makes references to property and friends in Norfolk and Suffolk. He himself lived in Monewden, Suffolk with wife Martha from at least 1635, and had property in Thetford, Norfolk, before his appointment as vicar of Bolsover .
The will of Symon ffoolkes, made in Eckington Nov. 27, 1667, and probated Aug. 29, 1668, specifically mentions that he has leased property in Cambridge to John and William ffoolkes.
Another possible member of this family who came to North Wingfield, Derbyshire, by 1654, at the very latest, because he is named in the marriage publication of his son that year, was Thomas Fouke who married Dorothy. He could possibly be, but this is only conjecture, the Thomas Folkes baptized Feb. 12, 1578/79, Westley Waterless at St. Mary the Less, parents William and Agnes, and brother of Martin Folkes (1579-1637) who moved to Rushbrook, Suffolk, or he could be a more distantly related Thomas in this family. There is a ffolkes family long established in this Cambridge/Norfolk/Suffolk area, they appear to have originated at Westley Waterless, and any identifications of the above Folkes with them would be greatly appreciated.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ffolkes Family of Cambridge branch going to Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 November 18 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Dear hepburn,

I would love to tell you but all I get is a black screen when I click your attachment

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cham, I clicked on the link and also got a black screen. So then I tried right-clicking on it and went to 'copy image', clicked on that and pasted it into 'Word' and it was then readable as a black and white image.

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 18 19:18 GMT (UK) »
    Thanks, WhiskyMac, hepburn Googled me to it, appreciate your help, though!

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 18 03:34 GMT (UK) »
    I wish to thank hepburn publicly for not giving up on me, and finding a way to send me the information that she found for me. I am 2/3 of the way through my quest, for Symon of Eckington and Thomas of Bolsover are the sons of Symon and Mary Foolkes. Symon, in turn, is the son of William (d. 1594) and Agnes ffolkes of Westley Waterless, mentioned in the article that hepburn sent to me.
   My third person of interest, Thomas Folkes, son of this same William and Agnes, is "amongst other issue" of this couple, to quote the article sent to me, baptized Feb. 12, 1578/79 at Westley Waterless, and I have no other information on him. Could someone please tell me if he also went to Derbyshire, stayed in Cambridge, or did not survive infancy, as I am thinking that his elder brother Thomas, baptized Oct. 19, 1564, at Westley Waterless, did not, Thank You!