Author Topic: Struggling with Longfields  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Yashca

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Struggling with Longfields
« on: Thursday 01 November 18 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm hitting a lot of dead-ends whilst tracing my ancestors, the Longfields.

Firstly, Samuel Coates Longfield. Samuel was baptised in 1826 in North Newbald, with his mother recorded as Hannah Longfield (no father).

In the 1841 and 1851 censuses he appears as a lodger with the Teale family in Newbald, along with a Frederick Longfield (sometimes transcribed as 'Lengfield'). According to the census, Frederick was born in 1836. Researching this, there is a baptism record from 1835 in Newbald which names Hannah Longfield (or 'Lengfield') as his mother. Once again, no father. I feel confident in assuming Frederick and Samuel are at least half-brothers. I can find Frederick again in 1861, this time in Malton and with the Peacock family.

First mystery - where does Frederick go after 1861? I can't find him again!

Whilst searching for Longfield baptisms I found another interesting one - Elizabeth Ann Longfield, baptised 1830 in North Dalton, once again with only Hannah Longfield listed as a parent. North Dalton isn't particularly far from North Newbald, and it seems coincidental that there would be another Hannah Longfield so close, but then family history is full of such traps. I've tried to find her on the 1841 census (or, indeed, any census) to no avail.

Second mystery - what happens to Elizabeth Ann Longfield?

Hannah herself is a mystery. I've tried looking for her on the census and there is a plausible sighting in 1841, a Hannah Lengfield born around 1801 who is living with Frances and Mary Kirby in Newbald. Unfortunately, there are no identifying children, and I can't be sure she is 'my' Hannah. There is then a marriage record from Fridaythorpe in 1847 of a Hannah Longfield (born circa 1801) marrying a John Wake. She is possibly (likely?) the 1841 census Hannah, but still, is she my Hannah?

Back to Samuel. In 1853 Samuel Coates Longfield gets married - and on the parish record for his marriage he names his father as Samuel Coates, a farmer. Is this a real person? If so - I can't find any particularly plausible candidates.

I've been going round in circles with this, I'm sure, so some outside perspectives would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling with Longfields
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 November 18 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi was the 1871 a typo for the last sighting of Frederick Longfield b c 1836 Newbold/Newbald, shown with Peacock family, as he is on the 1861 aged 24 with a Peacock family occ Carter?
Census ref RG09/3623/29/18
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 November 18 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I would be inclined to think that Samuels reputed father was a Coates/Coats. (I see there is  William Coats at the New Inn North Newbald in 1827 ( newspapers ) but that possibly Samuel thought his name was Samuel because he had been told he had been named “after your father”

Offline Yashca

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 November 18 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi was the 1871 a typo for the last sighting of Frederick Longfield b c 1836 Newbold/Newbald, shown with Peacock family, as he is on the 1861 aged 24 with a Peacock family occ Carter?
Census ref RG09/3623/29/18
Keyboard86

Oh yes, well-spotted - typo!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 November 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Looks like there's another child

1841 - Eastgate, Newbald

Sarah Lindale    60
Caroline Lesyfield    2 [corrected by someone to Longfield]

HO107, 1219,  11, 15

Someone has posted her birth cert on Ancestry - mother Hannah, single. Born in the Beverley workhouse

She matches Caroline Wakes with John & Hannah in 1851. Her birth and marriage are registered as Lengfield

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 November 18 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi that looks good:-

John WAKE 44 Widower?
Hannah Lengfield 46 Spinster
Both of Fridaythorpe
Grooms Father William Wake occ Cordwainer
Brides Father William Lengfield occ Labourer
8th February 1847
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yashca

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 November 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
This is brilliant - this solidly identifies Hannah Longfield and her daughter Caroline!

I wish I could find some hard evidence connecting this Hannah to my Samuel and Frederick; as it stands, my only connection is that they were both born to a Hannah Longfield and had no named father.

I'd really like to see the birth record of Caroline 'Lengfield' - but I'm on Findmypast rather than Ancestry. Is there any chance someone could share the image with me?

Offline Cheerio

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 October 19 21:27 BST (UK) »
Caroline Lengfield is an ancestor of mine. I have a copy of her birth certificate. Can I help?