Author Topic: WW2 records - Arthur Brace  (Read 794 times)

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 records - Arthur Brace
« on: Thursday 01 November 18 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find more info on my biological grandfather - my mother was adopted.  We know he was meant to have been in the War (WW2) but just wondering where the best place is to look up records is?  I have found a potential record (of service number - 912307 - for the Royal Artillery) & I wanted to see if any further records from this info matched up with what we've been told.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 records - Arthur Brace
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 November 18 20:50 GMT (UK) »
For anybody serving in the Armed Forces after 1920, their service records will still be with the MOD.

You can apply for copies of records here:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

You will need a copy of his Death Certificate, and there is a fee of £30.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 18 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to Rootschat
Royal Artillery Attestations
Arthur Lloyd Brace  912307   transferred to A.A.C   3.9.1942

Hopefully his middle name might make him a little more traceable.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline [Closed]

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 18 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Based on the assumption that your stepgrandfather formally adopted your mother, after your grandmother's relationship with your biological grandfather ended, you could begin by obtaining your mother's birth record from the General Register Office (GRO). In order to find this, you may need to search the GRO Index using your mother's first name and your biological grandfather's surname. If you can not find a relevant record, then it can be assumed that your biological grandfather is not on your mother's birth certificate. If you do find a relevant record, then the certificate should include some information about your biological grandfather, e.g., his occupation.

If your biological grandparents were married, then their marriage certificate should also provide his occupation, as well as the name of his father and his father's occupation.

Once you have collected enough relevant names, locations, and dates, you can begin to check census records and electoral rolls. After collecting this information, you will be better able to investigate relevant records further.

All the best,

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 November 18 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Thanks for all your replies.  As mentioned by Cathy, Arthur Lloyd Brace is who I'm trying to gain more info on.  Unfortunately adding that middle name on my Ancestry.com or findmypast.com stuff hasn't thrown up anything yet.  He wasn't listed on my mother's birth certificate so don't have huge amounts of info to go on about him.  I've find a potential death certificate for my biological grandfather & was hoping to match it with what the MoD had on this Arthur Lloyd Brace.

Oli

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 18 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if this was his birth? Might tally with his death date
Arthur L Brace

JAS 1919 Watford   mmn Lloyd

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock