Author Topic: John Fitzgibbon Butler  (Read 4756 times)

Offline JefferiesFamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Fitzgibbon Butler
« on: Friday 02 November 18 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello, as title states really, I've cropped the image to show only the occupation however to give an idea, she is named Eliza Parker, 57 years old living with my 3rd great grandfather/grandmother and their kids.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Fitzgibbon Butler
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 18 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I wonder she was a Monthly Nurse??

Kay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 18 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the Welcome!

I was going to post the full census however some sites don't allow the full image at the time of the census  the family had a 3 week old son, you're probably right, perhaps we can get a few more eyes on the image and see what others come up with :)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 18 04:44 GMT (UK) »
You are right this site doesn't allow the whole page but a slighty bigger clip might help or details of the census year and place so helpers can check it themselves  :)

Kay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 18 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Kay, really useful. you can find the 1861 census by searching for "John Jeffries" Exact Birth: 1821. He is living with his wife Louisa Jeffries and children, Emily, Louisa and Charles in Middlesex, London, United Kingdom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 November 18 05:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, I've recently  come across a census of my 3rd Great-Grandfather in 1851. He was a "Butler" for John Fitzgibbon, 2nd earl of Clare i believe? His Birth year matches 2nd earl and his sister also is living with him.

As my 3rd Great-Grandfather was living with John Fitzgibbon, would there be a possibility that John had a picture taken at all ? From my knowledge Butlers are pretty much the highest tier of servant.

I am hoping i can put a face to him as it'll be so much more interesting when i write a report on my family tree!

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 November 18 05:34 GMT (UK) »
I  have looked at the 1861 census for John Jeffries, and the way it is displayed in Ancestry, Eliza Parker is not part of the family.

I will agree with Kay99 as a monthly nurse, but John has an occupation of lamplighter, so whether he could afford a nurse could be problematic.

When checking Eliza Parker in the 1861 census, she shows up on her own, at the same address, with a gender of female!, and a relationship of wife. BUT, the way the relationship is written, it could be that of W for widow.

AC

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 November 18 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Says ‘monthly nurse’ and ‘widow’.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7KX-NVC

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 November 18 05:41 GMT (UK) »
I  have looked at the 1861 census for John Jeffries, and the way it is displayed in Ancestry, Eliza Parker is not part of the family.

I will agree with Kay99 as a monthly nurse, but John has an occupation of lamplighter, so whether he could afford a nurse could be problematic.

When checking Eliza Parker in the 1861 census, she shows up on her own, at the same address, with a gender of female!, and a relationship of wife. BUT, the way the relationship is written, it could be that of W for widow.

AC

Thanks AC for your message, the family from my research have all been very poor people. Was a "monthly nurse" costly back in those days?

I would also like to point out, i am at a brick wall with John Jefferies and i believe Eliza Parker is key to moving froward. John possiblky couldnt afford Eliza to be in her home HOWEVER in 1841 i found a John J Jeffries living in a big household with many other people including Eliza parker, her husband and children. I'm thinking perhaps free of charge or maybe at a discount?