Author Topic: Chandler in Eynesbury - baptism c1796  (Read 2659 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Chandler in Eynesbury - baptism c1796
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 November 18 12:16 GMT (UK) »
The marriage for Dinah to Thomas Johnson should give information on her father

Marriage Sep qtr 1843 
ELLIOTT    Dinah       
JOHNSON    Thomas       
St Neots    14   265

Do you have this marriage certificate as it should indicate who her father was
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 November 18 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Agreed but I am exploring other less expensive methods first as I am on a tight budget.

I am not even sure she is a member of my tree yet as I am waiting on another marriage certificate for her husband's great-nephew Oliver Sidney Johnson, who I believe married one of my Johnson cousins - now he's a story in himself!

If there is nothing online, I think I will invest in the Huntingdonshire Index as all my Johnson ancestors come from the county and it will certainly pay for itself!

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 November 18 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
Just a quick update on my query.
Yesterday I unfortunately received the marriage certificate copy for this lady's great-nephew, and I say "unfortunately" as I also received a lesson in how NOT to do family history!

I had based research into this line on the theory that the great-nephew, Oliver Sidney Johnson had married my Florence Johnson, daughter of Edward Herbert Johnson, but in fact he married the widow of his brother Arthur James Johnson, one Florence Johnson nee Whiddington.

Therefore there is no connection at this time to this line for my family and I have been barking up the wrong tree! However, having said that I did enjoy it and it was interesting – but I think next time I will get the certificate first!

I won’t delete it though, as there might be a connection at the Huntingdon end as I know very little about my Huntingdonshire Johnsons.
Thanks for all your help and advice
Helen

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 November 18 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Helen ,I also bark up the wrong tree very often, I  think F.H. is on assumption only, but how can I help you with your Johnsons in Hunts,I will try, and put you on the right track. just brief imfo first.Margaret.

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 November 18 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret
I'm not berating myself, just a little irritated that I did it!

Thank you for your very kind offer, but it would be quite an ask as my main problem is that I cannot find a death or burial for my William Johnson and therefore no baptism.

His first appearance is on marriage in 1819 in Hartford to Elizabeth Harvey (baptised 1794 in Warboys, buried 1860 in Houghton). I found his wife and children easily enough in 1841 and 1851 but no William in 1841 and in 1851 his wife is a widow.

I came to this brick wall many years ago when I was a green newbie, so I shelved it as insolvable and it has become habit to think of it as impossible but now more has been indexed, perhaps it is time I did some more work on this line!

He had at least seven known children but I don’t even know the order of births or if there were one or two sons called William. At the moment I am favouring this arrangement: Denis Wells(1820), William(1821), Mary Ann(1823?), Mahala(1826), Absalom(1828), Eliza(1832) and Edward(1835), as I have found Absalom and Mahala in the census and William is of full age when he married in 1844. (Mary Ann, Mahala and Absalom were baptised together in 1828 in Wyton).

So you can see I have quite a bit of work to do!

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Let me know if you need me to check any document, any time Margaret.

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 November 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret
I was wondering if you knew of a county-wide index of burials, I'm not convinced that the NBI or the FindMyPast or Family Search have complete indexes as I cannot find any likely burials for my William Johnson in the period 1835-1851 in the St Ives area or so?
Helen

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 November 18 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried registrations b.m.d,for the name, this will give you the reg nos ,so you can apply for the appropiate certificate.Margaret.

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 November 18 16:10 GMT (UK) »
May have found them??? from St Ives Union Workhouse births and deaths 1836-1913,
william johnson, 48, died, 24, january 1847, of lung disease, buried, 26.1.1847, st ives.OR
william johnson, 58, died 25.8.1851, buried at pidley hunts.??????Margaret.