Author Topic: Collection of small black and white photographs mainly from the 1920/30's  (Read 504 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Collection of small black and white photographs mainly from the 1920/30's
« on: Friday 02 November 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I have no connection with this item on eBay, but I just thought that it was so sad that somebody's lifetime of memories is worth so little, £4.  I came across it while searching for harmonica music from the period.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collection-of-small-black-and-white-photographs-mainly-from-the-1920-30s/372476169362?hash=item56b94f4c92:g:6FcAAOSwxG9by0LH:rk:12:pf:0

Martin

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Collection of small black and white photographs mainly from the 1920/30's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 18 13:31 GMT (UK) »
It is very sad indeed Martin.

Lots of us out there researching our families who would dearly love to find old photos of a family member.

Sadly, not everyone is interested so you find a "job lot" like this for sale.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 18 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I look at it differently.  They would only be of personal interest to a very limited number of people, and the chances of any of them spotting this collection is small.  But if they do, they can get it for a modest price. 
If it was my family, and I came across this item, I'd be willing to pay more and would be grateful to the seller for not overcharging.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 18 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I just think that somebody died, and the relatives din't bother looking to see what was there.  In every family there is the one person who likes to keep family photos.  It is so very sad, there are children who would love these as they get older.

Martin

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Great pity. I have the same problem, have tried to pass on old photographs to (wider) family before I peg out, no ones interested, even if they are branch relevant. All are annotated with names and dates. I have hundreds, probably more than a thousand.

Only bright spot is High Wycombe Grammar School in the last few days. I sent them a group photograph including my father from 1926. Two replies wihin a couple of hours.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 November 18 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I just think that somebody died, and the relatives din't bother looking to see what was there.  In every family there is the one person who likes to keep family photos.  It is so very sad, there are children who would love these as they get older.

There might not be anybody.  An old fellow I used to visit from time to time died earlier this year, and he had no family.  No siblings, never married, no children, his cousins had all died before him.  A family friend dealt with his affairs, but there was nobody who would have had any interest in the personal stuff.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.