Author Topic: Smy Lodge or Smylodge  (Read 1738 times)

Offline rittrock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Smy Lodge or Smylodge
« on: Friday 02 November 18 14:11 GMT (UK) »
The "New Monthly Magazine" of 1 September 1819 reports the death of “Isabella, wife of W. S. Dickson., esq. M.D.” at “Smy Lodge, near Mourne”.
This might be a misprint for D.D. - there was one W S Dickson (at least) in the area who was M.D., and not the Rev. Dickson of 1798 fame - but can anyone identify the place or residence Smy Lodge or Smylodge?
The "Belfast News-letter" prefers "Smylodge" and gives 15 July 1819.

best wishes

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Smy Lodge or Smylodge
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 18 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline rittrock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks
Alexander Gordon got much right but some wrong in his DNB article - e.g. Dickson did not outlive all his children, and the "Northern Whig" of 30 July 1819 must be intended as the "News-letter" - and I have found it difficult to check the facts. I do hope the "New Monthly Magazine", not the "News-letter", was at fault. None of the obvious historians give full details of the "apothecary" son or the "struggling physician" grandson. Anyway, does anyone know about Isabella and Smy Lodge? Next year is her 200th anniversary and it's time to sort it out if possible  ;)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 18 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Smylodge Mourne

married Isabella Gamble in 15.7.1819, eldest son a surgeon in the navy died in 1798

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks
Alexander Gordon got much right but some wrong in his DNB article - e.g. Dickson did not outlive all his children, and the "Northern Whig" of 30 July 1819 must be intended as the "News-letter" - and I have found it difficult to check the facts. I do hope the "New Monthly Magazine", not the "News-letter", was at fault. None of the obvious historians give full details of the "apothecary" son or the "struggling physician" grandson. Anyway, does anyone know about Isabella and Smy Lodge? Next year is her 200th anniversary and it's time to sort it out if possible  ;)

The one that died at Smylodge was his wife.....therefore not the wife of M.D.

Did he leave a Will?  Did she?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 18 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I presume you've also checked the likes of this...and also looked to see if these are any Wills, Marriage Settlements registered etc

Offline rittrock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks
I have seen no will or settlement and have to trust the modern biographers who rooted through the Church registers. Parts of the Dicksons' family property were auctioned / seized / dispersed, and I doubt whether their son David (the Edinburgh medic and naval surgeon) left much estate.
I ask about Smylodge because I have seen no mention of it elsewhere. Attached is the "News-letter" announcement, with the correct D.D. letters.
Any suggestions? A "lodge", a place, a district?

I would also be grateful to know what "information" Gordon received from Rev. (Charles) McAlester and Mr Hill. The printed matter of Gordon's references can be checked - and isn't very helpful on Smylodge or Isabella as far as I know - but his notes and correspondence cannot be checked unless someone finds them. They don't seem to be in the usual repositories (John Rylands Library, Presbyterian Historical Society), at least not under Dickson.

best wishes

Offline Roy_L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 November 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure that isn`t a typo for `SunnyLodge` Mourne

??

Offline rittrock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 November 18 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I fear another misprint can't be ruled out. All that I can point at is the above phrasing: Smylodge in the "News-letter", Smy Lodge in the "New Monthly Magazine", and Smylodge in the DNB.

The Magazine, apparently unreliable on the D.D. / M.D. question, is less likely to be the primary source.

Alexander Gordon has a very good reputation for fact-checking, although he or his printer slipped when referring to the "Whig" instead of the "News-letter"; he may simply have copied from the "News-letter".

I just hope that a bell rings for someone who has local Mourne knowledge. Or that Gordon's DNB bundle of notes and letters (or the correspondence with Latimer, McAlester, McKinney and all the others who chipped in over 100 years ago) can be found.

best wishes