Author Topic: William Taplin  (Read 1583 times)

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Taplin
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 November 18 20:44 GMT (UK) »
He was invalided back to England as he was no longer fit for duty. It would appear that he was returned to the army barracks in Woolwich which is where he deserted from. He may has been suffering from shell shock and it was not a cowardly action.

Poirot
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 November 18 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I fully realise that as a possibily, but to prove "Shell Shock"?

Are you sure that Frances Revill was born Exeter or just a Domestic Servant there in 1911 born Sheffield?
Keyboard86

PS Frances was a Widow in 1939 with the children already described in Cheshire, plus a possible male birth 1919 Marylebone shown as a Closed Record.
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 November 18 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes you are correct. She was born in Sheffield as was her father. It was her mother who was born in Exeter.

Poirot
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 November 18 21:12 GMT (UK) »
OK you would have to bite the bullet, he from your findings alters his year of birth year on year, but the only one that gets close to a Widowed wife in 1939 is the one shown?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 November 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I think I will take a risk and apply to the GRO for a PDF of the original.

Thank you so much for your help and I will post the outcome.

Cheers,

Poirot

Offline Mobach17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 December 20 09:41 GMT (UK) »
:) That's good, when/where did he marry Frances/Francis, and her death?
Keyboard86

EDIT A marriage to a Frances Revill in 1915 Exeter leads to births in Dec 1917 Marylebone and 1920 Islington.
Keyboard86

Hi William Taplin was my grandfather and he married Frances Revill in Exeter in 1915.  I have the death certificate for William and also the marriage certificate to Frances.  I am having issues trying to find a birth certificate for him in the UK.

Offline Mobach17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 December 20 09:47 GMT (UK) »
OK you would have to bite the bullet, he from your findings alters his year of birth year on year, but the only one that gets close to a Widowed wife in 1939 is the one shown?
Keyboard86
Hi I am the Grandaughter of France Revill who married William Taplin.  I have a long list of ancestors for her family, Frances Mother was Emma Elizabeth who married William Revill his father was called Aaron Revill who was an Innkeeper in Langsett Road Sheffield.  The Revill family originated from Derbyshire and Sheffield.  I have the will of Richard Revill who was the father of Aaron who had brother called John. I never knew William Taplin as he died in 1928 in Billerclay Essex of TB.  On his army records which I have a copy he deserted no reason given.  He was gassed in the war and was declared unfit for duty.  My father Harold Taplin was only 8 at the time of his death we do not know much about William and I am having problems finding a birth certificate for him.  We have many conflicting stories in the family about him.  Apparently he was from Irish decent.  any help in finding a birth certificate would be helpful

Offline Mobach17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 December 20 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.

William's dob was 1886. He married Frances Revill  4/8/1915 in Exeter which was her birthplace. His address at that time was Topham Barracks, Exeter. He was 29.

On the first page of his records he states he is 32 and unmarried which was not true.

Frances died in 1965 in Birkenhead.

Hi, he died from TB in a Retreat in Billericay.  They lived in a place called Dolly Dene Cottage.  Frances is buried in Plymyard Cemetery in Bebington on the Wirral, my father Harold Taplin and mother is buried just yards from Frances.  She was my grandmother.  William had four children, Lena Doreen, Harold Roy (who was my father), Ernest John William, and Vera. Frances died of stomach cancer in Clatterbridge Hospital on 13th June 1965.

I would love to know why William deserted and what he died from.

What does Deceased (PT) mean.

Poirot

Offline Mobach17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 December 20 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I have a lot of information about William Taplin including his marriage certificate, death certificate and army records.  He seems to be a bit of a mystery as some of the dates do not match up hence me finding it difficult to find a birth certificate for him on the date given on his army records.  I am his granddaughter.  He died of TB in Billericay in a Retreat in Essex.  His army records does state he was a deserter but no one in the family knows why.  France's family the Revills originate from Derbyshire and Sheffield.  I have more information about France's family and her ancestors.  My grandfather left four children, Lena Doreen, Harold Roy (my father), Ernest John William and Vera.  On Williams marriage certificate to Frances it states that his father was also called William and he was a Horsekeeper.  There is rumour that his had Irish heritage but I have not been able to prove this.  Frances died on the 13 June 1965 of stomach cancer.  She is buried in the same cemetery as my mother and father in Plymyard Cemetery in Bromborough   

There is some kind of mystery around William and we do not know whether this had anything to do with him being a deserter. I would love to know if anyone has managed to get hold of a birth certificate for him or if they know his true date of birth and not the one on his army records.