Author Topic: Samuel SCOBLE of Brixton, Devon - help with image, please  (Read 383 times)

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
Samuel SCOBLE of Brixton, Devon - help with image, please
« on: Friday 02 November 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
A couple of weeks ago I discovered a whole family gathering of ancestors in a beautiful Devon churchyard.  Many of the gravestones were surprisingly easy to read and transcribe.  However, with a grumpy child anxious to get back into the car and continue to our final destination, I didn't get time to transcribe them all properly so I had to rely on photos for the last couple.  The one here appears to read "Samuel Scoble" but I can't make out any dates.  I therefore wondered if someone here could do something clever with Photoshop or similar and make the image easier to read. 

In terms of my Scoble family tree 'Samuel' was a favourite first name, and I have nine of them.  I've already identified the gravestone of my 5x great-grandfather, Samuel Scoble 1724-1786 in the same churchyard.  Other possibilities are my 6x great-grandfather Samuel, who could have died c.1725-50.  However, there's no burial entry in this village for someone of this era on FindMyPast, which holds the Devon parish records.  Another possibility is my 4x great-grandfather Samuel, 1761-1832, who I know from FindMyPast is buried in this churchyard.  Both the 4x and 6x had a wife named Mary!  There are two other Samuels, one born 1821 and one born 1859 in the same village.  The rest are either more recent and/or lived elsewhere.

If it helps, I can email a high-res version to someone if they would like to send me their address via PM.

Many thanks in advance, Janey
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel SCOBLE of Brixton, Devon - help with image, please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 November 18 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Best I can divine from what is presented. Hope it helps. If you can post just high res sections of the places missing, that might help.

Hope you don't mind I just put text over the image.
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel SCOBLE of Brixton, Devon - help with image, please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 November 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Wow - that's amazing! Thank-you so much.  The most important thing was trying to discern the year of Samuel's death so that I could determine which one he was.  Armed with this, I now know (from the very comprehensive burial registers kept for this parish) that his wife Mary died on 18 March 1840 (not 1810) aged 77, from "old age". 

I've added a new picture of the last two lines of Samuel's inscription which, at 474kb, is the biggest I could make it within the limits for uploading here.  Samuel was buried on 24 May 1832 although this time the register doesn't include a date of death.  Obviously it would still be May, but this really doesn't matter too much if it's too hard to make out.
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds